Properly designating UTC time

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7BKV, Jun 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You write the time upside down. Ahem.

I'm unsure of your question. The military time zones are based on astronomical fundamentals and are set every 15 Degrees of Longitude. The Sun travels 15 Degrees every hour and is the basis for time. They have no connection to civil time zones or locally created variations.

KJ4VTH likes this.
  2. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

The state of South Australia is UTC + 9:30.

There isn't a letter for that.

Okay, I guess that explains it but ... why do they have a few 7.5 degree "star" zones? They're in Europe so maybe something to do with WW2.

It seems like there should be an India Star as a timezone in one of the US's main allies.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  3. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

N7BKV likes this.
  4. KA9Q

KA9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

If it helps, time/date stamps in standard Internet email headers look like this:

Mon, 8 Oct 2018 19:07:45 +0000

The offset in hours and minutes from UTC is given by the last field, with +0000 meaning UTC.

I always write dates as "8 Oct 2018" to eliminate the ambiguity of expressions like 10/8/2018. Is that October 8 or August 10?

One of my pet peeves is the airline practice of giving local times without specifying the timezone. IMHO, any representation of time must always specify the time zone, preferably as an offset (e.g., -0700) or at least as a zone (e.g., PDT or MST).

The only situation, again in my opinion, where it would be acceptable to omit the time zone or offset is when UTC is used. This would only be practical in situations where only UTC is ever used, again because of the common practice of giving local times without a timezone indicator.

5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Past the 12th day of the month it doesn't matter! But yeah, otherwise it is one date or the other. The Europeans seem to always use day, month, year but here in the states we don't. I wonder how that got started. D M Y over the top of the box for the date on a QSL card is a nice touch.
    I always feel like just pitching QSL cards that have local time on them but I don't.
    Computer logging programs often use the colon in the UTC time but I never would when writing it on a card. I make no references to offsets or local time on a card or in a log.
    I suspect there is a programming reason that computer logging of time has the colon.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 1.53.10 PM.png

I had some trouble trying to cash travelers cheques at an American bank long ago.

KA9Q likes this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was QSL manager for our club, I always insisted a DAY, 3 letter abbreviation of the month, and full year. THAT way, there was no confusion if 10/8/19 meant the 8th of October, or the 10th of August. 10 Aug 2019 leaves NO confusion, nor does 8 Oct 2019. (At least, it shouldn't.:rolleyes:)

Added: BTW, UTC is just THAT. No letter offsets, etc. UTC is UTC, no matter where you happen to be.

N7BKV and K4TTJ like this.
  8. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Got it. But like with ITU Morse, amateur is a lot slipperier with the rules it seems.

9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

++++++
    You confuse UTC and Zulu time.

there are 24 Zulu zones, any other adjustments are LOCAL time.

there are many UTC zones where they vary the local time by 1/2 hour, some even 15 minutes, but, they are in the same Zulu zone

10. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

...and that's why it's amateur. : )

N7BKV likes this.