Proper use of 146.52

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KE0WPC, Nov 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KE0WPC

KE0WPC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a friend who disagrees with me when I say that we shouldn’t send SSTV on 146.52 mainly because it’s a voice calling frequency and since we have the ability, we should use a different frequency (specifically an FM simplex frequency) but he refuses to use a different frequency. I think that if a simplex contact has been planned it shouldn’t take place on 52. In my opinion, this is just a factor of common sense and obvious best practice. I just want you’re thoughts on this.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    WQ4G likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Who uses SSTV on 2m FM?

N3AWS likes this.
  3. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Ham Member QRZ Page

All bets are off in today’s society! Time to seek a higher power…..

Frank

AK5B, WN1MB and AC0OB like this.
  4. KA2BLG

KA2BLG Ham Member QRZ Page

That frequency is the voluntary US band plan. There no FCC regulation. Period. In mostly every place I’ve operated (outside my normal NJ/PA area) people are listening. It is routinely monitored by lots of people. Just because. Because ya gotta start somewhere.

So, protocol, and decorum become the rule, or chaos is the rule. Protocol and common courtesy, that isn’t so common anymore, dictate once contact is established, you move to another frequency.

Why is this even a question? Establish contact... leave the calling frequency, it’s a big band. Don’t be “that guy”. Step up and flat out refuse to be part of the problem; AND YOU WON’T BE!

WQ4G, AK5B and KP4SX like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never even heard of or seen SSTV on 2m.

It's legal but unusual, and I wouldn't clutter up the FM part of the band with it.

Who uses SSTV on 2m?

N3AWS and AC0OB like this.
  6. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Ham Member QRZ Page

7. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You wouldn't be breaking any law, but of all the possible frequencies to use, 146.52 is possibly the worst, at least from the standpoint of being polite to your fellow hams.

I thought the only reasonable question to debate around that frequency was, "How long can I talk to someone on 146.52 before we should move to another frequency?"

Certainly if you'll be tying up the frequency for more than a few minutes, politeness says you should move, perhaps to something like 146.55 or 146.58. There may be places where the frequency seems so quiet that it doesn't matter, but it costs you nothing to move off the calling frequency.

SSTV or any other non-voice mode? Why would anybody consider 146.52 to be a good choice for that?

WQ4G, AK5B, AC0OB and 4 others like this.
  8. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people apparently view the whole world as their ashtray.
    Best wishes in your attempt at teaching manners to your SSTV friend.
    If you are successful in the task, you will have made the world a better place.

KC9VFO, WQ4G, AK5B and 4 others like this.
  9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Some use the whole world as their ash tray? (Maybe that's where they plunk their ashes...:rolleyes:) 146.52 is (yes, by voluntary GENTLEPERSON'S agreement) a national CALLING frequency, not an "operating" frequency. A reasonable individual (exercising common sense and/or common courtesy) will use it for it's intended purpose, and that is for CALLING and establishing a contact, and then move if they want to rag-chew. And at least on voice you can leave a brief period between transmissions in case someone else wants or needs the frequency; I don't see SSTV as being interrupted once it is started.

10. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

I routinely monitor .52 FM from ~12,000ft agl while flying. You might be surprised at some of the stuff I have heard... I was.

AK5B and N3AWS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.