propagation

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA1BSZ, Jun 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've made some cw contacts but not interested enough to be proficient. Contest exchanges are about it and I have to listen listen listen before. But I know quite a few who love it like their first language. I got into ham radio for dx ssb contacts, that's what interests me. I've done some psk, only macros I use is calling cq, everything else I type. But to me ssb is king, it takes effort and time especially if you have a less than stellar antenna. FT8 is solely for paperchasers, making lots of contacts. To me it's like using OMISS and other nets to get WAS, not for me. Enjoy ft8, but I'd rather have human interaction on fone.

G8ADD, K5URU and W5TTW like this.
  2. W5TTW

W5TTW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The best thing about FT8 is the peace and quiet. No round table know-it-all's pontificating over their technical acumen and incessantly spewing their obsessive-compulsive need to be right about every issue and offering advice that wasn't solicited. Mingus on the stereo, FT8 on the radio, adult beverage on the desk. Works for me.

KP4SX, K5URU and W4RAV like this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Hitting the little ba$t@rds with rocks as they run takes skill.

W4IOA and K5URU like this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

The skill in that is not twisting the panties in a knot while wobbling full speed towards the objective of your wrath.

K5URU likes this.
  5. K5URU

K5URU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, objectivity matters. If I go around telling new operators that CW is bad for ham radio because every time you close the contacts on your key, it spews wideband RFI from the spark, then that's not a valid opinion, that's just incorrect and irresponsible; as one of the pillars of the Zed, you should speak up and correct me. Same if I say that CW sucks because there are no vowels in CW. However, if I say CW sucks because hearing about your stupid RIG HR ES ANT HR ES WX HR is boring, then that's clearly just my opinion, and you are free to ignore it.

In the quoted post above, you've finally stated your opinion, instead of the factually incorrect statements about FT8 that began our discussion (Paraphrasing: It's useless because it doesn't have a free text field with a character limit or custom messages or a drop down menu). So now we can discuss and agree or disagree, instead of wasting time correcting mistaken statements about the software. If only others would follow your lead, we could all have a meaningful discussion instead of dispelling myths and legends.

FWIW, I think we're mostly on the same page with regards to ease of use. I also think FT8 is easier in many ways than CW or SSB. In fact, the novelty of FT8 has just about run its course for me. I realized early on that once I "completed my lists" of states and/or DXCC, I would probably lose interest in FT8. I also agree that it's probably the easiest digital mode for noobs (and experienced hams that are just new to digital modes) to get started on, because it's well-written software with a very effective modulation scheme and a large, active base of competent and supportive users. On the other hand, I don't agree that sitting back and listening to Hammy Hambone brag about his linear requires any more skill than configuring and constantly adjusting a computer and radio to squeeze the most range out of a few watts, but that's not the point.

As I said before, if you just don't like it and think it's boring, I have no problem with that. It's the uneducated and uninformed objectively incorrect or nonsensical arguments that bug me. Your little misunderstandings were well-defined and easily correctable, but some of these whoppers are dangerously close to outright gibberish. They sound as ridiculous as comparing SSB to tightening a nut on a bolt, or CW to sweeping the floor. They just don't make any sense whatsoever, and have no rhetorical value, so I wonder what their purpose is. They obviously don't deter me from using whatever mode I wish to use, but their outlandish implications warrant further investigation.

Sometimes I wonder if the OM are mad at FT8 because they're worried that they'll run out of people to talk to on SSB or new hams to connect with on CW. Or maybe they feel that FT8 devalues awards and accomplishments like DXCC. Or maybe they are truly concerned about the social health of these young hams that don't seem to talk about the weather as much as their generation did. If so, why not just state these opinions instead of weakening their case by making up a nonsense or flat-out false reason that FT8 is evil? Why would people use such weak arguments as their very evidence of the loss of the art of conversation wrought by FT8?

N9ATV and KD2NOM like this.
  6. K5URU

K5URU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bingo! I think this is also part of the reason so many people enjoy contests, but don't otherwise talk on the air a lot. Some of us just don't have that compulsion to chit chat, that need for external validation, and for us, certain types of contacts are far more appealing than others.

For some people, radio is simply a means to increase the reach and scope of their conversations. For a lot of us though, radio technology itself is the primary source of enjoyment; related skills like antenna building or CW operations are secondary pursuits. Pleasant conversations and new friendships are simply enjoyable byproducts of operation.

W5TTW and KD2NOM like this.
  7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Reminds me of me dear ol mum, God rest her soul. We were on vacation driving through Texas and she said out of the blue, "You know, Texas would be a great place if it weren't for all the Texans".

From her ashes comes FT8's new marketing motto: "Ham radio would be a great place if it weren't for all the hams. Try FT8 today!"

W4IOA likes this.
  8. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll pass on the FT8 but the rest works for me, too!

9. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

You people are amazing.

10. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

By the way...how's the propagation?;)