ad: portazero-1

propagation

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA1BSZ, Jun 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W5TTW

W5TTW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Please help me out here. I enjoy FT8, but you hate it. What should I do? Should I continue to enjoy it, knowing that you hate it, or should I avoid it (and miss the enjoyment) because you hate it? Please tell me how to enjoy my hobby because I'm really confused right now.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

U Mad Bro? :)

Here is what you do: Take the coax that comes out of your rig, set the rig to full power, stick it up your wazoo key the rig and whistle Dixie. The whole song. Twice. :rolleyes:

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

That could work. Reminiscent of old WW2 code books :)
    Trying to organize such a thing would be the bigger challenge. In spite of 120% of all hams using FT8 how many would be interested in participating and monitoring? What do you do when you copy a bunch of numbers like that? Do you reply, do you call your local 911 and explain it to them?
    Poor solution looking for a problem.

4. W5TTW

W5TTW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, it's their hobby and everyone else is just passing through. I'm thankful that they have an opinion about everything. How else are we supposed to know what to think?

5. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

You missed the point. The FT8 software would take a menu choice and convert to code. The FT8 software on the other end could flip it back to text. You'd never see the actual code numbers. Sorry I didn't 'splain it better sir.

6. K5URU

K5URU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, those are some good ideas and sharp observations, for sure, and you have my respect. I think a new mode or submode or whatever developed from those ideas would be great. The thing is: I almost can't believe that you really didn't know about the free text field with fixed character limit and custom messages with the drop down menu, because those exact features are part of FT8; I just don't understand how the perceived lack of these features could be used as an argument for why FT8 is "lame" or whatever.

There are many reasons that some people don't like FT8, and I actually agree with some of them. But so many of them are objectively invalid, and it just doesn't make sense to argue over the utility or value of a mode when the very arguments against it come from a position of unfamiliarity.

In any given FT8 discussion, I'm half expecting someone to join in, saying "I don't like FT8 because it doesn't have 15-second alternating transmission periods." That seems ridiculous, but it's no more absurd than some of the other "reasons" I've read about how FT8 is bad for ham radio, such as "requiring no user involvement" or "making it easy to get DXCC in a day" and other such nonsense.

Anyway, carry on. I appreciate the opportunity to participate in an insightful conversation. I'll go back to practicing CW while running FT8 and feeling conflicted about myself. :confused:

7. KP4SX

Maybe...but I don't know if the display on something like JTDX or WSJT-X would be able to display that 'much' text. I suspect not. It would take a new, different program that nobody currently has.
    Bottom line is that the FT8 format just isn't the right one for that situation.

KY5U likes this.
  8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Objectivity? How many more people "hate" CW? I don't need anyone's explanation or approval to do CW. If you like FT8, then cool. I don't like it because I think it's a noob mode requiring no skills. What does my opinion matter?

W4IOA likes this.
  9. KP4SX

No skill in wearing Depends and chasing kids off your lawn either. Well, maybe.

10. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't want to deny your FT8 excitement. Go ahead and enjoy. Please do. But when you tire of that I would suggest taking up watching TV test patterns. That is a real thrill. Try to collect a WAS with those. It is much more of a challenge than FT8. And some have better color and INDIANS. And then there are those that have that hypnotic pattern you can stare at for hours. That is like FT8 for the more advanced.