Propagation oddities

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KD8ZM, Sep 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Propagation must be a very weird thing. It seems like half the days I call CQ, I get responses only from a very small area, many miles away. For example, some days, everyone who responds is just a few miles from the Atlanta airport. Other days, they might all be in the NYC area. Or, all in the mountains of NH.
    Yesterday, everyone who responded was within 100 miles of Los Angeles.
    I get picked up all over the place with good 20+ db signals on the RBN, but the only actual persons who respond are from a small area.
    How strange. I can't quite figure out how that happens.
    I'm in Ohio.
    Brady

K1LKP likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have noticed over the "down years" much the same - I'm near Seattle and during any given contest, CW or SSB - doesn't matter - I can work Florida all day long. But Maine? Massachusetts? Connecticut? .... it's about a 10:1 ratio. Why such an easy path from the Pacific Northwest to the deep Southeast on HF but rarely to the New England states. Even on 100 watts - same story.

Now, when the sun has a bad complexion, all that really changes and I can work the world on 3 watts

Dave
    W7UUU

KD8ZM likes this.
  3. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I spend too much time listening to the NCDXF beacons on 14100. Trying to predict anything a day in advance is a pure crap shoot. And I thought that prop up near the pole was supposed to be bad. I hear the VE8AT beacon all the time, more than the California beacon. Granted, my antenna probably favors N-S, but Cali was tough even when I had a 20 M half-wave dipole up favoring E-W. And I hear Finland, too. Never mind NYC which is sometimes so loud it startles me.

4. KD8ZM

You may be onto something, there. I really haven't operated when the sun is pimply, yet. So maybe it will all change once that occurs?

5. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

BRADY, YOU OLE RASCAL......... GREAT TO READ YOUR POST......BRAVO....

LOOKS LIKE OUR LAST QSO WAS BACK IN MARCH.

BRADY, AS FAR AS THE PROPAGATION IS CONCERNED.... THE QRZ FOLKS
    HAVE PROVIDED YOU WITH SOME GREAT INSIGHT.

HOW IS DONALD DOING??

BRADY, I DON'T KNOW IF YOU FOLLOW DOCTOR TAMITHA ON HER SOLAR FORECAST.

SHE PROVIDES US WITH GREAT INFO.

CHECK OUT THIS QRZ LOCATION AND BE SURE TO LISTEN TO HER ENTIRE VIDEO.
    http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thr...t-storm-space-weather-news-09-05-2019.672187/

BRADY, TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF AND BIG HUGS FOR DONALD.

N9HI Have a Nice Day.gif
    73 - K1LKP

KD8ZM likes this.
  6. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am on the other of the Cascades from W7UUU but I get the same path to the south east. I have a map that has tacks for all the contacts I have made over the years, and patterns are easy to see. I have 4 states in the NE I still need for 20 meters. I was sort of marking it down to lack of operators in those small states up there. But I look forward to seeing some good action.

7. KD8ZM

Hi Carmen! Donald is doing great, lounging around and enjoying the summer. Meowing a lot.
    Did you repair your giant 1300' loop? My puny 625' loop is still going strong!
    I will listen to the video, thank you. Hopefully the propagation pipeline between us opens soon and we get another QSO before long! 73
    Brady kd8zm

K1LKP likes this.
  8. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HI BRADY,

GLAD TO HEAR THAT DONALD IS STAYING OUT OF MISCHIEF.........HIHIHI....

AS FOR THE LOOP....... I WAS ABLE TO REPAIR THE FEED POINT BUT
    ONLY HAVE IT UP ABT 20 FEET SORT OF HANGING ON THE POLE.

I HOPE TO SOON GET THE FEED POINT UP TO THE TOP OF THE POLE
    OR RIGHT NEAR THE TOP.

BRADY TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF AND LOTS OF GUD DX TO YOU.

OH YES,,,,,,,,, AS FOR DONALD'S MEOWING.......... HE IS PROBABLY
    LOOKING FOR A GIRL FRIEND........HIHIHI..........

73 - K1LKP

KD8ZM likes this.
  9. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've found some oddities like this as well.

Earlier in the year I was using WSPR to test an experimental portable antenna (Rowland Ring) that would almost certainly be worse than my setup at home.

And it was. By 10 to 15 dB.

But there was one exception. One station (VK7JJ about 400km away) got me stronger with the test antenna than with the home antenna. Not just once but consistently.

The antenna must have had a lobe at an angle favourable for him and/or conditions were just right.

Video on this demo here:

KD8ZM likes this.
  10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Odd propagation ?
    The conditions you describe sound like e-layer skip like you get on 15, 12 , and 10 M.
    What band(s) are you on ?
    To check propagation I listen for WWV, in Ft. Collins, CO on 2.5, 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 MHz, and CHU in Ottawa, ON, on 3330, 7850, and 14670 khz. signal is there 24/7 .
    I work all bands that have signals on them and can work whatever the conditions bring me., Near and far !
    In Daylight, recently, I can work many different distances and directions on 40 and 30 M, and at night I shift down to 60, 80 and 160 M if the lightning noise is not too bad,. to work locals or the West coast !
    I use CW , 100 W or less.

KD8ZM likes this.