Proof needed for tech wishing to exercise grandfathering clause.

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by WA6TKD, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA6TKD

    WA6TKD Ham Member QRZ Page

    Hello from WA6TKD. I been licenced sense the mid 70s as a technician class operator but have been inactive sense the early 80s. I now have an interest to get back into it, most likely HF QRP CW on 40 meters. My licence has never expired and is current. Researching the requirements to 'prove' qualification for grandfathering element 3 for General class seems to have several different methods, but as I can't find any copies of my licence prior to the March 1987 data, it seems that my best (only?) method is to obtain a copy of a past 1987 Edition, or earlier, Radio Amateur Callbook.

    My question is must I obtain a old callbook or could I see if I can find someone that has one and is willing to copy the needed information? Would such photocopy of the page and cover page be sufficient evidence to take to a VEC and apply for upgrade to General class? If so can anyone here help me obtain a copy of the Callbook information?

    Thank you

    Larry, WA6TKD
  2. ND6M

    ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

    well, you could go the grandfather route, but, IMHO, a lot of things have changed since the mid 70's

    I "think" that TECH's DO have CW priv's on 40 meters, limited to 200 watts. I'm sure some one will correct me if thats not correct.

    why not just brush up on a few new regs, ect and take the Gereral exam?
  3. WA6TKD

    WA6TKD Ham Member QRZ Page

    Sure has, I had more hair and less weight back then. :)
  4. K7JEM

    K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

    There are people that have old copies of the logbook. Get one to photocopy the page for you that shows being licensed as a tech prior to 1987. Your VE should accept that as proof. Call the VE and ask them, just to make sure. Fill out the paperwork and have them submit it to the FCC. You will then get a general class license.

    Good luck.

  5. W5SMD

    W5SMD Ham Member QRZ Page

  6. W5RB

    W5RB Guest

    Drop an email to Steve at the linked site . He routinely provides page scans to folks needing such documentation . Check with your VE team a week or so before the session to see that they're familiar with the provisions of 97.505 , and what they require . Most ARRL teams will accept a page scan as proof .
  7. WA6TKD

    WA6TKD Ham Member QRZ Page

    Thank you very much Russ, I sent a request off to Steve as you suggested.

    Larry, WA6TKD
  8. W6KMD

    W6KMD Ham Member QRZ Page

    This should work out well for you. I was able to help N6TLP get his the same way.
  9. W3DO

    W3DO Ham Member QRZ Page

    Your best bet as I tell all ham radio operators is to keep going, get your General and Amateur Extra license and be able to operate on all of the bands.

    You are not going to get any VE to grandfather you in as a General Class operator, those days are gone.
    There might have been a slight window of opportunity where there was some VE's that would have wrote you a General Class License, but things has changed to the point of where that is not applicable anymore.

    I can quote you psalm, book, verse and chapter of someone locally who tried to get his VE buddies to write him a General Class License, because he had a Novice class license from another country and thought that since there was no more novice class licenses that the FCC would just advance his license to Technician and then all he would have to do is take the General exam to become a general.

    What happened was one day his call sign was valid and the next it was kicked out of the computer and his license was suspended.
    They ended up rubber stamping him a Technician class license and the re applying his CSCE TO THE NEW LICENSE GRANT.

    Had they gotten caught, they all would have lost their licenses.
    I'm glad that I was not a witness to their activities because my license also could have been revoked.

    The bottom line is the FCC Does not care about if you passed the exam or not. As far as they are concerned they would sell ham radio licenses @$!5 a pop and make money. The ARRL is the ones that wants to keep the CB'rs out of the Amateur Radio Community.

    Take all this with a grain of salt please.
    STUDY, obtain your General Class License legally, ( there is no written part of the exam anymore) both for piece of mind and to keep yourself from getting into trouble.
    All it would take is for someone to squeal on you and you could be called into a FCC office for a face to face exam.
    Then if you fail, your license privileges, the VE's license privileges and the VE privileges would all be revoked.

    Probably the previous 20 licenses the VE's approved would also be nullified and each and every individual would be called in for a face to face exam - if you failed your General class license exam at the FCC office.

    There is no longer a written segment of the General or Extra Class Examination.

    The General is a simple 35 multiple guess question exam and the Extra is a 50 question multiple guess exam.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  10. W5RB

    W5RB Guest

    AB3NK , your opinion disagrees with a lot of facts , including the text of 97.505 , and the experience of a lot of knowledgeable VEs .There's even a special place on current ARRL CSCEs to note exam credit under 97.505 . Please do us all a favor , and refrain from "correcting" posts made by people who actually bother to check the facts .
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

ad: cq2k-1