Promoting ham radio in scouts

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by W2PSK, Dec 10, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

The Scout organization goal.
    ''The objectives of the BSA are referred to as Aims of Scouting: moral character development; citizenship training; and development of physical, mental, and emotional fitness. The BSA pursues these aims through an informal education system called the Scout method,''

I don't get how Scouting requires buying transceivers ,, how would purchasing products from factories improve my ''moral character development; citizenship training; and development of physical, mental, and emotional fitness.''

If buying equipment like this is vital to help train young minds , I wonder if I can get my knot tying badge by ordering a box of knots from China through eBay.

gregW:) OH2FFY

2. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure if I understand your question. Scouts buy a lot of equipment, they don't make everything from scratch. Tents, stoves, cooking utensils, canoes, there's a lot.

I agree with CZU, get outside assistance first. Ensure there is interest before spending the money.

3. KB9MDQ

KB9MDQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Dated thread but if your still interested...

I am in your financial boat too. As a scout master myself I have a few suggestions that has worked in our council, one way to get interest is to have them take their Radio MB. If you are a counselor the better as you can promote the hobby within the process. Then next step would be to buy a fox transmitter and do some fox hunting. That is right up scouting alley.

You can also have your council check out Icom equipment (A ham must be the custodian so your the guy. They have a program for scouts. Our council has gotten that in the past for our summer camp where Radio MB is offered weekly.

We offer JOTA in our council at an OA event that is the largest participation in the state. I and my son work it every year. Cub and units come in for the weekend to hike the 5/10 mile hike along with other activities. Since JOTA is that weekend also we offer that and cubs stop in on their way to the hike route. One fmaily last Oct was impressive enough by my outreach that they approached me and this past month I was gifted 2 HF rigs (TS 430s & TS-580S/at, tuner, Amp, etc from their silent key grandfather). I am working on testing it see what works after being in storage for several yrs. Blessing for me so I can develop a goto kit around it.

I strongly suggest 2M voice to start. get a couple of Chinese HT's and let them talk to a plant off in the distance or make local contacts.

Also, once you get some scouts licensed, you can consider doing a troop fundraiser meal, etc to raise "stem equipment".

N1BCG likes this.