ad: Amateur-1

Promoting Echolink

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K6DRR, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WZ4I

WZ4I QRZ Member

2. AL2N

AL2N Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it ironic that there is so much howling and nashing of teeth over Echolink.

Hams use the internet for DX spotting- should those contacts count? A computer was used at some point in the process. Sometimes it is even hooked up to the radio and tunes in the DX for you.

Hams like to play with APRS- you use the internet to look up someones position.

Hams use LOTW and eQSL- Again the internet is used.

Digital modes- those foul computers are used again! Curse them!

Point is that computers and the internet are used a lot in Amateur Radio. VoIP does have its place.

Do I think Echolink is a threat to radio? Nah. Echolink is an interesting thing to play with, but I would not stake an enitre communications system on it. It is a fun way to ragchew with folks you would otherwise not be able to talk to.

I have heard of several cases where older hams use VoIP to keep in touch with friends they met on HF. They have moved to a care facility and cannot have an HF rig, but there is plenty of room for an HT. Folks on vacation use it as well to chat with the gang back home.

There are some uses for the technology. Are they "real" contacts? Personally I don't think they are. I rank VoIP in the same category as this forum. But it is fun to listen to at times. You can hear some interesting technical conversations as well as the general ragchew.

Those who are most vocal use the very tool they are against to get their view across. If you were a true purist, you would send messages via snail mail or the NTS.

3. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Your other points have some validity. This point has none. Usiing the internet has nothing to do with amateur radio. I don't dislike the internet. I enjoy the internet. I just don't confuse it with amateur radio. They are two separate entities. One private, and one commercial.

4. WZ4I

WZ4I QRZ Member

Personally, I’m not against VOIP. I use it each and every day. Probably more than most who post here, due to my chosen profession. But, I do distinguish the difference in VOIP and true Radio. Some can’t. If “EchoClink” is the future of amateur radio, amateur radio is doomed!

5. WZ4I

WZ4I QRZ Member

You forgot to click your heels together 3 times.

6. KB1KIX

KB1KIX Ham Member QRZ Page

7. W5MJL

8. KB1KIX

KB1KIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Um.... no, I don't pay for my broadband - it is free from my town and local university.

The contest you mention.... falls under what I previously stated - they're deluding themselves if they think that's legit - it most certainly isn't.

And the argument about the internet being commercial, in that sense is akin to amateur radio being the same. I pay for coax, radios, books, etc.

I often hear whining about echolink from a vast majority of those that don't even bother to use the local repeater.

If you aren't using the repeater, then what does it matter to you anyway?

Jonathan

9. W5MJL

Somebody is paying for it either directly or indirectly on a monthly basis.

No it's not akin to that.  That analogy is ludicrous.  We are supposed to be a non-commercial communications link.  The whole purpose of amateur radio was that we are all independent, we rely on nothing but our ability to get on the air under any adverse conditions.  If there were truly a huge national emergency, the prepared radio amateurs would be on the air instantly.  The echoclinkers would be running to their cable companies asking them when they will be up again.

this is why, as stated earlier.

If the anti-echolink people are wrong, and echolink doesn't hurt amateur radio, then nothing bad happens, if the echolink people are wrong, amateur radio is history. That is a huge risk all for the purpose of playing pretend radio.

10. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Wow.

Five pages. A lot of heated argument. And no personal attacks that I could find. May be a QRZ.com record.

Well done.

Bill, K7JBQ
    One of the QRZ.com moderators

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.