Promoting Echolink

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K6DRR, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K6DRR

K6DRR Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly! Which is more important, ham radio, or the life of a human?

2. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

You have obviously missed the whole point.

3. K6DRR

Yes, as long as lives are saved. It is much easier to use echolink that hf. A used laptop costs under $100. Yes a used hf rig can be $300+. It gives people with cost limitations something to do on ham radio. All I have is this computer and a 5w ht. Yet, look how many lookups I have. It widely extends the possibilities of ham radio. In many ways. Emergencies, working DX , weather spotters....on and on.. [​IMG]

4. K6DRR

And the point was...

5. WZ4I

WZ4I QRZ Member

A software package (Echoclink) installed on one's PC, does not magically turn the PC into a "radio".

Echolink (ek-O lingk) n. 1. Another form of AOL chatroom. 2. A means to circumvent amateur radio licensing requirements used by hams without HF privileges to work DX by using a computer connected to the internet. 3. A means to gain general-class license privileges without the inconvenience of taking a test. 4. An inappropriate use of the internet to licentiously utilize distant repeaters which one normally would not be able to reach by RF alone. 5. A pretend radio.

licentious: Having no regard for accepted rules or standards.

Click this link for a typical Echolink Contact... [​IMG]
    EchoClink Contact

6. K6DRR

No, that is just someone who has never used a dtmf pad before. [​IMG]

7. W5MJL

read the post directly before your post.

8. W5MJL

ROTFLMAO.

I can honestly say I have never contacted the wrong number on 80,75,40.30,17,15,12, or 10 meters.

9. KF4VGX

KF4VGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah yes ! Tony  my friend ,W4NCR . Echolink ,IRLP node etc.  Now how  would you know, that I or others connect to this node  [​IMG] . I'm the only one that uses *two* dtmf tones to connect to that node. Listen quick and you will hear my voice  GX ,also you will hear . The Repeaters are now linked. I made that info file for this Repeater.
    Please do note how clear my repeater audio is ,untill the fake recording comes in [​IMG] .

Now thats a real good copy on VHF from Hickory N.C.

Another chopped up recorded version that came from this area ,as well as your last.

Amateurs working together ,what a Wonderful Hobby !

Hello Guys !.  Please read kb4qlz comments below,

Quote (ki4eyo @ April 27 2005,15:42)
    Maybe if I delete the first post.....the whole thread will disappear...

I'll make a "deal" with ya kid. Learn code, pass the test, *TRASH* EchoClink, and I'll send you a very nice 10 meter rig totally free. kb4qlz
    Quote (ki4eyo @ April 27 2005,15:42)
    Maybe if I delete the first post.....the whole thread will disappear...

If doing that would also make EchoClink disappear, I'd be 100% all for it!
    Echoclink (ek-O Clingk) n. 1. Another form of AOL chatroom. 2. A means to circumvent amateur radio licensing requirements used by hams without HF privileges to work DX by using a computer connected to the internet. 3. A means to gain general-class license privileges without the inconvenience of taking a test. 4. An inappropriate use of the internet to licentiously utilize distant repeaters which one normally would not be able to reach by RF alone. 5. A pretend radio. kb4qlz
    Funny  thats the same Tagline that the EC of Horry County  uses?? KR4WM
    He also boycotted Skywarn Appreciation Day because it allows Echolink and VOIP systems .

Thankfully, I don't use Echolink, and everything worked out just dandy!   KB4QLZ

For the 1,000th time. I do not “hate” Echolink, IRLP, or VOIP! I probably use VOIP more than most who are posting in this thread. Why is this sooooo hard to comprehend?
                                                         kb4qlz

OK ! OK !   If *YOU* say SO !   

You DONT Hate  *Echolink*

kf4vgx

For the 1,000th time. I do not “hate” Echolink, IRLP, or VOIP! I probably use VOIP more than most who are posting in this thread. Why is this sooooo hard to comprehend?
                                                         kb4qlz 

So sorry we misunderstood you !   [​IMG] .
    KF4VGX

Oh brother- another one who can't read. KA5FAP said "one of a handful". KF4VGX misread it as "one percent". KA5FAP corrected KF4VGX, then you misread that KA5FAP said one percent. Geez, some people's kids.....

KR4WM ,EC Horry County

Now we know How KB4QLZ was able obtain and  post all those chopped up recordings of myself using Echolink !

All this, just to degrade............
    kf4vgx
    To the moderator of this thread/forum.

I'd like to request that KF4VGX be REMOVED from posting in the QRZ Forums due to his continuing editing of post, (not correcting spelling errors, but changing the content of his post) sometimes over a week later in a lame attempt to make his post fit his continually changing dialogue.  kb4qlz

*Edited * by kb4qlz on May 01 2005,17:07 .

Posted: May 01 2005,18:58  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In this thread alone, KF4VGX has made some major content edits (these are not spelling error corrections) to the following post days after the original posting.

Does anyone still wonder why many amateurs record him?

Posted: April 17 2005,14:42
    Edited by kf4vgx on April 28 2005,09:28   11 days

Posted: April 17 2005,19:13
    Edited by kf4vgx on May 01 2005,17:50  14 days

Posted: April 19 2005,06:22
    Edited by kf4vgx on April 20 2005,04:53  1 day

Posted: April 20 2005,19:36
    Edited by kf4vgx on April 24 2005,06:25  4 days

Posted: April 22 2005,11:31
    Edited by kf4vgx on April 24 2005,06:24  2 days

Posted: April 22 2005,22:30
    Edited by kf4vgx on April 24 2005,11:03  2 days

Posted: April 23 2005,06:29
    Edited by kf4vgx on April 24 2005,06:23 1 day

Posted: April 24 2005,11:49
    Edited by kf4vgx on April 27 2005,10:57 3 days

This needs to stop.

*Edited *by kb4qlz on May 01 2005,18:59
    Sometimes I work  15 hour shifts  , its the only time I have for corrections .
                                                             KF4VGX

10. W5KLB

W5KLB Ham Member QRZ Page

I see I've entered another combat zone. But not to worry, I've got abestos nickers to guard against the flame throwers.

For some who are advocating the "wonders" of Echolink/IRLP:

What some of the older hams are talking about when they say Echolink is not ham radio is that it's not traditional. You can't blame them. It takes hardly no learning at all to point and click on a computer or punch in some numbers on a DTMF mic to dial up a node. And they are right on. Operating a hf rig, to pull in those rare DX contacts takes some real talent. You gotta know some stuff about that radio and antenna to do this. In other words, you gotta LEARN something about your radio. Sorry, but "point and click" or "punching numbers" doesn't teach you anything but to "point and click" and to "punch numbers".

This not to say that Echolink/IRLP can't have a place. EMCOMM is one. Our EOC used it to link another town in Oklahoma in a mock disaster drill. I can see it for possible use in the NTS when propagation on HF "iffy''.It may compell Techs to get their upgrade to HF. Then again, it may not.

Me I kinda lean towards the fact that I'm going to have fun no matter where I communicate. HF, repeaters, code, PSK 31 etc, if it's part of Amature radio, it's all good. [​IMG]

Post to be filed under "For What it's Worth".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.