ad: elecraft

Promoting Echolink

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K6DRR, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome to QRZ forms where EVERY topic will get derailed in some way or another. Two topics to avoid in general are:

1. CW vs. SSB
    2. Echolink, ham radio or not.

Even though I'm fiercely anti-Echolink, good luck with your project.

Tom kcØw

2. N4AUD

N4AUD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. I don't want to sound like an Echolink advocate, I'm not. I have, as I said, used it a couple of times, but couldn't care less one way or the other. I was just trying to understand the strong emotions it seems to bring out. Frankly, I think it will die a natural death or at least won't grow that much. It's really not all that much fun to use it, and I can't see operators with HF access using it much at all. I did enjoy talking to a ham in a far away place where I was stationed years ago, but it won't replace a 20 meter DX contact for "thrill" factor. I just can't see Echolink getting bigger, can you? Once a tech upgrades, I don't think it will interest them at all. I wonder if there are any statistics on Echolink users, overall and by license type?

3. K6DRR

K6DRR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes that would be interesting. That is what got me interested in ham radio(echolink).
    [​IMG]

4. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

I can see echolink taking over 90% of amateur radio if we let it.   Echolink doesn't promote amateur radio, it promotes the internet, and echolink.  Any time echolink works during a disaster situation, it is another nail in our hf coffin.  If the fcc believes that 80 or 90% of the time echolink can work for emergency communications you will no longer see amateur radio.  We cost the fcc time and money to enforce its rules.  There may come a point in time where the fcc may be willing to take the "echolink risk" in all emergency situations to save money.  

The echolinkers like to call it "internet enhanced radio".   They like to think that any time someone talks about amateur radio it is amateur radio.  Qrz is amateur radio to them as well, because we can talk about radio.  The missing ingredient of course is the RADIO.  I can talk about being an astronaut, but it doesn't make me one unless I am up in space.

Will there be people who come into REAL AMATEUR RADIO from echolink?  Sure.  Just like there are people that come from the boy scouts, or the military etc.  I think the key is "will it do more harm than good".   Knowing what the fcc has done about BPL, I would say that "more harm" is the more likely scenario.

5. K6DRR

K6DRR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, I finally found a smiley for this.!
    [​IMG]

It is in my Smiley Vault along with almost 2,000 smileys.

6. KF4VGX

KF4VGX Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KF4VGX

ka5fap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, you all please conference and try to come up with at least one justification as to why echolink is good for amateur radio.
    ka5fap
    You have your mind made up and completely closed.

I am finished.

Of course my mind is made up.  I've already heard both sides of the arguments.  Until someone comes up with a mighty good reason why irlp and echolink are good for amateur radio, I will continue to have my mind made up.  ka5fap

I would like to see us move from analog to digital even though I know it will cost me a fortune to replace my current gear. I think in terms of the hf spectrum we can do something along the lines of DRM which the shortwave broadcasters have adopted. Of course we will have to have transmitters and receivers that can handle both analog and digital for a very long time.

by ka5fap on April 27 2005,11:33

A mighty  *GOOD REASON*, its obvious .

Every  time Echolink works in a disaster it may save a nail from going in a human beings coffin .Amateur and civilian lives *ARE* being saved. Thats something I cannot agree with others on . A life is a Life ,no matter how we as Amateurs help in Emergencies. Our first and foremost *DUTY* is to save lives.

Amateurs here in hurricane Alley have found that HF at times was not favorable to pass traffic.
    Echolink promotes Amateur Radio as well as going to a club meeting.

Please see,

http://k5car.tripod.com/carc/id1.html

http://www.repeater.org/clubs/442.15/ilink.htm
    And also !

http://www.ka5cvh.com/the_eyes_of_texas.htm

Club members have found a valuable tool with Echolink

Example , being out of town staying in a Hotel. Ever try to throw a long wire over a Hotel [​IMG]

It wont go over to well with the Hotel owners I'm sure.

In the past Amateurs have used my repeater to link up and call their nets , Hay it was their turn !

Here is a Amateur's link that use's my Repeater. You may see a picture of him on the Beach somewhere.

http://www.qsl.net/kf4bwg/

73 KF4VGX

Its your Hobby to Enjoy

[​IMG]

8. W5MJL

Our first and foremost job is to provide emergency communications. Obviously if a cell phone works there is no need to get on hf, or echolink. Obviously if the internet works there is no need to get on hf.

The concern is whether the fcc wants to play roulette, and only use telephone or echolink. That is my concern. It has nothing to do with saving lives. Saving lives is a by product of the communication. When the internet is down, and cell phones are down, and the fcc already took away our frequencies, then what? Then nothing, nada. That should be a concern to all amateurs.

9. KF4VGX

What would you do if you were passing Emergency Traffic and the band failed [​IMG]   And your traffic did *NOT* pass [​IMG]

It all works hand in hand .

* I agree to disagree with you on this subject.*

I myself will pass and use anything to pass emergency traffic, if you want to use HF only then please do so . I personally would  stand by and hope HF carried the contact , if it didn't I would use a backup , any backup
    *A Backup for a Backup* .

Echolink uses bands that are least used and brings life back to Repeaters that have been idle for years.

We as Amateurs must not fear change or we will forever live in the past .

I honestly don't feel that VOIP will cause amateurs
    to lose frequencies. if any thing there using these frequencies more .
    Perhaps your just going to have to wait and see.

Your just returning back to the hobby after a long layoff because of HOA rules etc. You could have been on the air *Everyday*
    You have no idea how many wonderful Amateurs use Echolink until you try it,  perhaps your just bias for no reason .

All this has been hashed and rehashed for years now.
    Its FCC approved and ARRL approved.

Perhaps do a Biography Search in the main index of QRZ Database and Information Pages . Type in Echolink ,then read all those Echolink Bios.

The NWS invited Amateurs to help relay Emergency traffic
    not the other way around . At that time the internet
    ( Not widely used )and cell phones were not available. You'll have to talk to Al about that department [​IMG]

I believe the young mans topic was ,

* How to promote Echolink *
     I'll go back to that topic now.

KF4VGX [​IMG]

Its your Hobby to Enjoy

10. W5MJL

Well I guess I would just change to a band that did work.  There is always a band that is working.  Always.

That's not what your email said.  Your email said you would follow me around this board anytime I said a bad word about echolink.  I think your exact words were "take to the bank".  You already knew we disagreed and we weren't going to change each others mind.

Of course you would, and no one is asking you not to.  I already said if you can use a phone use a phone, if you can use a cell phone then use a cell phone.  If you can use the internet, use the internet.  I just don't know what telephones and the internet have to do with amateur radio.  Yahoo and aol will work just as well if not better.

In most cases there are legimate reasons why certain repeaters are not used.  For one, there are too many of them.  Another reason is there are very few open repeaters, so someone travelling from out of town has to first find the repeater, then find the code.  Someone mentioned their statewide repeaters were busy.  Ours are too.

This is not about living in the past.  It is about depending on a COMMERCIAL link.  It's against part 97 and it should be abolished.

It doesn't matter to me how you feel on this subject.  You are SO INTO ECHOLINK that there is no turning back now.  That is fine with me.

That is correct, I have just returned due to antenna restrictions.  However, if I wanted to talk on vhf I could have gotten by with a handy talkie or a mag mount on a piece of metal.  I chose to leave amateur radio rather than be restricted to vhf.  I would leave again if vhf were my only choice.  

I'm sure there are wonderful people that use echolink. Just because they are wonderful does not automatically make echolink wonderful. There are wonderful people using yahoo and aol, and there are idiots as well.

*****Now I am officially done with YOU, on this topic.  You can post until the cows come home.  I will always post the negatives of echolink because I feel echolink has the greatest potential to bring amateur radio down.  We obviously disagree.  The only problem is if I am wrong nothing bad happens.  If you are wrong, we are all screwed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.