ad: Halibut-1

Progressive Changes at the ARRL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Feb 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I work at the league. There are staff members who work very hard to service membership, provide quality Product Reviews and the like. The budget is published. No one here is getting rich; I left a successful career in television (and took a pay cut, to boot) to have the opportunity to contribute to a hobby I love. It is very discouraging to see misunderstandings about the league, but alas, I'm not going to convince anyone here, am I? I will try, one last time. The league is run by volunteers. The paid staff carry out the wishes of the ARRL board to ensure a reliable publication schedule and timely customer service.

I believe we are about to see a boom in Amateur Radio as we are entering a new solar cycle. Better times are around the corner. We should all be happy about the technology we have on hand, right? It's the best around. I have found the more joy you spread, the more what you enjoy, prospers. Why be mean? Some of you are. It is downright hurtful to those who are trying their best. I've seen that hurt. Constructive criticism is welcome, without the nastiness, please. Why would anyone want to participate in a hobby with mean-spirited people? As Radio Amateurs, each of us should strive to be a good example of international good will. Our signals have no boundaries.

K2EAG, WJ4U, WN1MB and 6 others like this.
  2. KE8QEP

KE8QEP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it simply means, in this case, moving forward. There is a new leader (who is interviewed in the podcast) and he working on a number of new initiatives including updating the website to be more functional.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    N0TZU and K7JEM like this.
  3. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree and ARRL has a large endowment and $$ actually increased last year, according to the BoD minutes.

I hope the ARRL plans to repay the tax payers for the million dollar gift they received.

Free money isn't really free, and I get the impression that for those ham tax payers who don't support ARRL policies, this is a bitter pill.

I'm a member. Just a constructive suggestion to build good will among members and non-members who pay taxes.

Item #12 - No payback of million dollar government check expected:

12. CFO Report – Ms. Middleton
    Ms. Middleton presented the report of the Chief Financial Officer. She reported that despite the challenges of 2020 the League generated a small gain from operations and continues to maintain a strong balance sheet along with healthy cash balances. She also reported that ARRL experienced significantly lower spending in 2020 due to travel restrictions and the temporary postponement of filling some vacant positions. She then entertained questions. Responding to a question regarding the Paycheck Protection Program, Ms. Middleton noted that it is expected that the loan will be fully forgiven under the program and ARRL does not qualify for a second loan under the program.

http://www.arrl.org/annual-reports

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ODV/...Annual Board of Directors Meeting Minutes.pdf

N8ZI, WN1MB, N1IPU and 1 other person like this.
  4. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

OK CHIP,

I KNOW THE DRILL..........

====LOGIC DICTATES

YOU WIN.jpg

N9HI_Have_a_Nice_Day.jpg

K1LKP SOCIAL SMILING JUNE 2020 SMALL.jpg

K4FMH likes this.
  5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

As Glen Frey says, "It's the lure of easy money, it's got a very strong appeal"

I have some acquaintances here locally that are probably going to jail for defrauding the PPP program for over a million dollars.

N8ZI, K3XR and (deleted member) like this.
  6. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Honestly, I think the height of "mean spirited" is taking a loan you don't need, from people you don't know, and then refusing to pay it back.

In my opinion, "I don't have to pay it back" isn't much of an excuse, and it would make me somewhat ashamed to be part of an organization like that.

N8ZI and N1IPU like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Your heart is always in the right place, but the ARRL is vert different from how it has been presented in this thread.

Different, for example. in a far more positive way, and with limited resources--not treasure chest legacies;-)

Chip W1YW

K1LKP likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The PPP loans are loans, with some or all of it forgivable as a 'grant', if the accepting party qualifies. The rules are explicit and the documentation is needed.

What's wrong with the ARRL taking a loan during a pandemic?

Don't answer: the answer is 'nothing'.

Chip W1YW

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The new CEO has been there for a while now, so that is not news. It was announced many, many weeks ago. And so what: they've been working on the website issue for YEARS. Why is that 'progressive'?

Doesn't look different to me, compared to a few months ago.

10. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

This all depends on what your version of constructive criticism is. Only issue I have with the volunteers is the same I have with the ARRL lovers here and that is you feed a beast that drastically needs realignment. The board accepting gov. funds for payroll protection then expecting not to pay it back is the last straw for many. Public service is supposed to be our mantra but in this case its the public servicing the board. I quit paying for membership in protest only to find I am still paying but now at the point of a gun and jail time if I refuse. It is beyond wrong on so many levels now.
    Many have tried to change things over decades but always get pushed out by the the club at the top. It needs to stop and most anyone with the slightest critical eye knows that. You just enable it to continue so sorry if I am not a fan.

N8ZI and (deleted member) like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

If you don't look for the changes they will never be apparent. MO.

13. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It amazing that people here are being “triggered” by the innocuous and grammatically correct use of a word. The context is about the ARRL improving itself, and as pointed out above, “progressive” is part of the Amateur Code.

Webster’s first meaning is “1a: of, relating to, or characterized by progress”. The political sense of the word doesn’t appear until number 5. I suppose that next there will be demands here for the Progressive Insurance company to change its name.

As for the PPP funds, the Treasury reported almost a year ago that approximately 133,000 religious, civic, social, and other non-profits qualified for and received $13.5 Billion under the program up to then, no doubt more since then. ARRL is not unusual.
    See slide 11 at https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/PPP-Results-Sunday.pdf

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    K4FMH, NN4RH and KE8QEP like this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you should not be so dismissive of those who understand the word.

There is nothing in this lineup that spells 'progressive' --most have nothing to do with the ARRL anyway;

• Concord Student Wins Congressional App Challenge
    • ARRL Reject Additional VEC's
    • ARRL to consider covering young members license fee
    • German Radio Hams Tackling RF Noise Pollution
    • UK Amateur Radio Operator Celebrates 100th Birthday
    • The Royal Australian Air Force - 100 Year Centenary. VK100AF & VI100AF
    • Light Up 2 Meters Night, an FM Simplex Event
    • ARRL CEO David Minster (NA2AA) to keynote QSO Today Virtual Ham Expo

Blame the reporter. Not the reader.

Thanks.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page