ad: M2Ant-1

Progressive Changes at the ARRL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Feb 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Incentive licensing happened 53 years ago. Move on already, people!

AC0GT, N4QX, NN4RH and 4 others like this.
  2. KD7LX

KD7LX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

THIS!! I remember when I was a kid listening to the old-timers bellyaching about this, and then fuming on about how eliminating the code was the death of the hobby. Oh, the irony! It just proves what I've always known, that trying to please curmudgeons is an act in futility.

N0TZU and KE8QEP like this.
  3. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, because long-time members of League officialdom had living memory of the fact that it was only because amateur radio had played ball with the government in times of crisis to supply technically- and operationally-savvy personnel critical for the national defense that amateur radio had been restored to anything like its former stature once the crisis had passed. The operative phrase is, "Great idea, Boss!"

But to reiterate a point I made near the end of my post, it's pretty ironic to hear beefs about incentive licensing come from the same camp that now complains of Ham Stupidification. FCC and the League and the stars were all lined up to make everyone an Extra and like it, dammit! We blew our one chance at Golden FCC-ARRL Alignment Toward the Perfection of Ham Radio!

Except ham radio is a hobby, hams aren't conscripts, and the street didn't buy it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    W0PV likes this.
  4. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Most people already know what the logical end state of amateur radio licensing is going to be.

Well, maybe not most, but those who think logically, view the recent past and the current state of affairs know.

5. KE8QEP

KE8QEP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What has your logical thinking made you conclude?

6. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KE8QEP

8. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

What difference does that make? "Administration" is a misnomer. Ya, a couple of people were switched out on Jan 20, but no many. The majority of the administrative state before Jan 20 and the majority of the administrative state after Jan 20 are the same exact people.

We are digressing. We are moments away from hard feelings. If I support the ARRL, I create hard feelings. If I support the FCC, I create hard feelings.

To try to mitigate any hard feelings either way, I now fully support the new administration which was elected in a free, fair and open election. What ever the FCC is trying to do, I now fully support it because it's what we voted for. I fully support what the American people voted for and I now want everything the American people voted for. Wait... that probably produces harsh feelings too. There's no positive way out of this.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not know what the "logical end state of amateur radio licensing".

I strive to extrapolate based on logical outcomes, so it seems phenomenologically puzzling why 'I don't get it'.

For those of us so deprived, perhaps you can be more explicit stating said outcome of the 'end state', and the facts that support that assertion.

Thanks.

10. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone's digressing.

11. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Lord. The "facts" are every where these days. You can't "not" see/hear the facts these days. If you turn on a tv, the "facts" are there. If you turn on a broadcast radio, the "facts" are there. If you look at internet news sites, the "facts" are there.

I will explicitly state it: There will be "equality" in amateur radio licensing. There, I said it.

Now, that's going to be a pretty inflammatory statement for some. These days, the same words mean different things to different people. And this is one of those words that means different things to different people, especially today.

Now, I suppose some of you will start asking me what that word means. And then we'll break down into an argument about semantics and I'll see copy/pasted Merriam Webster dictionary entries and/or an argument about at least a couple of other hot topics today which use that same word. I'm going to suggest we drop it, sit back, and watch what happens to the question pools in the next couple of years. There will be plenty to complain about then.

Remember, we can never go back. We can only go forward. That's progress. If we are not going forward, we are falling behind. The amateur radio question pools need progress. And they're going to get progress. There's only one way forward. And it's pretty obvious to me which way that is. I don't know why it isn't pretty obvious to every one else.

12. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some pretty bizarre people inhabit the 'zed.

NN4RH, W1YW, KE8QEP and 1 other person like this.
  13. KE8QEP

It's rather breathtaking really.

14. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Breathtaking, indeed.

Just get on the air and talk. We have the best pastime anyone could ask for. For the grumpy, it is what you make of it. if you make it apocalyptical, then it is for you, NOT for me.

W1YW and KE8QEP like this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what you are talking about. And you continue to want us to 'read between the lines'. 'One way forward'. Well what IS it?

There is nothing racially, culturally, or sexually, dimorphic about RF waves; RF parts; RF practice; well, RF period.

Progress in amateur radio can ONLY mean enhanced knowledge, skills, interaction, enablement, and advancement in the radio art. That's what is reflected in the question pools.

"Progressive changes " in a non- profit may OR may not coincide with that.

ALL are welcome. ALL are equal. AB INITIO--not by getting a license. It's how you come in ,not what it makes you.

It's important that the 'face' we project reflect that reality.

Period.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    KD7LX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.