Progressive Changes at the ARRL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Feb 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

ICQPodcast Episode 345

In this episode, Martin (M1MRB) is joined by Leslie Butterfield G0CIB, Dan Romanchik KB6NU and Edmund Spicer M0MNG to discuss the latest Amateur / Ham Radio news. Colin (M6BOY) rounds up the news in brief and in this episode’s features is in an interview with ARRL David Minster NA2AA, and the President, Rick Roderick K5UR as they discuss changes for the ARRL with Frank Howell K4FMH.

ICQ AMATEUR/HAM RADIO PODCAST DONORS

We would like to thank Tony Hickson (M5OTA), Mark Fairchild (2E0MFZ) and Richard Dalton and our monthly and annual subscription donors for keeping the podcast advert free. To donate, please visit - http://www.icqpodcast.com/donate

News stories include: -
    • Concord Student Wins Congressional App Challenge
    • ARRL Reject Additional VEC's
    • ARRL to consider covering young members license fee
    • German Radio Hams Tackling RF Noise Pollution
    • UK Amateur Radio Operator Celebrates 100th Birthday
    • The Royal Australian Air Force - 100 Year Centenary. VK100AF & VI100AF
    • Light Up 2 Meters Night, an FM Simplex Event
    • ARRL CEO David Minster (NA2AA) to keynote QSO Today Virtual Ham Expo
    The ICQPodcast can be downloaded from http://www.icqpodcast.com

upload_2021-2-28_18-42-15.png

M1WML likes this.
  2. W7CO

W7CO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

M1WML, WA8FOZ, N2AMM and 1 other person like this.
  3. N9AMI

N9AMI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The ham radio community needs a new organization. The ARRL is just another political organization. However, I can at least refuse to "subscribe"......

KD4HLV, KY4GD, W2CPD and 21 others like this.
  4. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

This is why I have not rejoined!

W2CPD, NH7R, W9ELO and 8 others like this.
  5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

The announcement of the FCC's call for Comments is incomplete, saying only that:
    "Specifically, the Bureau seeks to determine whether the existing 14 VECs provide adequate support to volunteer examiners or whether additional VECs are needed."

What's missing is the reason this question is asked. Did someone Petition for adding Coordinators? Has someone complained about an inadequate system of testing, such as availability? Did anyone cite an overwhelming workload for the 14 designated Coordinator positions, which were established in 1983?

On the face of it, the FCC has not identified why it seeks to review the existing system. It looks like an answer in search of a problem. Only a handful of Comments were filed in the FCC's Public Record, none of which makes a compelling case to do much of anything.

N7KO, M1WML, NL7W and 1 other person like this.
  6. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL Liberal Progressive Changes is when the existing members are threatened and extorted into training and funding licenses for Newbies, buying and setting up equipment for the Newbies and giving the Newbies awards for doing nothing.

W4WFL, W2CPD, KA2FIR and 14 others like this.
  7. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm. At first I thought the division or section of the FCC that handles Amateur Radio licensing would never become political. I always assumed the commercial broadcasting licensing division or section would become political. But after reading the public notice, I see some arbitrary and misleading statements in there.

Who asked the question, "Is 14 VECs enough?"

There's also a statement in there that says there are three license classes and each class license is determined by examination of the "level of skill" and knowledge demonstrated to the VEs. I've qualified in the past to be a VE under two VECs. The "level of skill" is not demonstrated to the VEs. This is a false statement.

Another very curious question/statement is they ask is, "How many additional VECs are needed?" And then states the commission is unlikely to add more than five additional VECs. Why are they unlikely to add more than five? This seems pretty arbitrary to me.

They then ask how increasing the number of VECs will address the "unmet needs", if any, as well as what obstacles or complications could be created by increasing the number of VECs? This seems fishy to me. The FCC has obviously (to me) recognized some unmet needs.

Having been a member of the federal workforce for 28 years, and knowing how some of these people think, I can easily start laying out some possible "real" objectives here. For example, we've had 14 VECs since 1983. And these 14 VECs collaborate. My guess is the FCC can't find a single VEC willing to start capitulating to something within the collaborative process of creating the question pool. My guess is we are going to get at least a 15th VEC who will then start gumming up the collaborative process to start changing how we test for "level of skill" and knowledge.

Anybody here familiar with "critical race theory?" On a larger scale, this is a relatively new "progressive" initiative. And the new administration knows they have only 23 months left to firm up what they're trying to accomplish.

Sorry, I can't think of any other serious way to address these questions.

KD4HLV, KL5DK, W2CPD and 9 others like this.
  8. MRLUU

MRLUU QRZ Member

The ARRL argument that there too many VEC's is specious and a none issue

M1WML and K0UO like this.
  9. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL is so corrupt as to not be saved. Thankfully the people are waking up to the fact that we need to abandon the old fart brigade. Wayne Green was right all along. We need to follow the militia model. Form up for a need then disband to avoid corruption. Same goes for about any union based formation. Over time they become self serving at the cost of the members.

W2CPD, NJ6J, M1WML and 5 others like this.
  10. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The ARRL claims to be a not for profit entity yet has over $36 million in assets.

Their annual budget is $15.5 million yearly or $1.3 million a month.

I wonder who pockets that cash flow being that a vast majority of workers are volunteers.

http://www.arrl.org/annual-reports

KD4HLV, W2CPD, N5QXP and 3 others like this.
  11. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, they could drop into the sea for all I care.

KD4HLV, W2CPD, NH7R and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.