Programming Yaesu FT-7100M with Chirp - Radio Error

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by W5GX, Mar 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am ecstatic to find that Chirp now supports the FT-7100M, despite it's outdated and obsolete. :p

Has anybody out there tried to program it yet? I cannot seem to get Chirp to talk with mine.

Looking at the manual, the clone cable is wired up as shown below:

FT-7100M Clone.JPG

I assume the diagram is from the viewpoint of the radio, and not the cable end. Instead of the other end plugging into a separate radio, it's plugged into a USB adapter using the SiL CP2102 chipset. I have the PKS pin connected to the RX pin of the USB adapter, and GND to the GND pin.

Using the clone directions, holding down REV and TONE as I turn the radio on, I push TONE for the radio to transmit, and the radio itself gets an error.

The USB adapter works with both my Baofeng and FT-60 radios without issue, and the drivers are current, so I don't doubt they're working. On a whim, I swapped pins into the radio, and no help. I have also run the PKS pin to the TX pin of the adapter, just to say I did. The RX light on the adapter lights up until I try to clone from the radio.

My cable is just a simple two conductor coax, a small gauge headphone wire. The GND terminal uses the shield, and the PKS uses the center conductor.

Off hand, am I missing something?

Anybody have a cable that works for this radio? Anybody tried the RT System cable with Chirp successfully?

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What does cloning radio to radio have to do with chirp ? Maybe I am missing something.

When you use chirp, It is not a good idea to use the data from a different model radio. Import the data instead, Not all radio settings. A brick can be the output if you do it wrong.

Turn off the radio, Start chirp, Turn on the radio and chirp should see it if the correct port number is selected.

You do not want Clone Mode, You want data mode. Clone is for radio to radio of the same exact model.

I could be wrong, If so please forgive me in advance.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  3. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

Chirp makes the radio think it is another radio of the same model connected for cloning and gets the radio to transmit or receive accordingly. Setting the radio to transmit during clone is how the data is imported into Chirp, and that's how the data templates are created.

Chirp now supports this model and I am trying to download the data from the radio first.

I appreciate your quick response, though.

4. KA9JLM

OK.

This is the only thing that I could find about setting data rate. Good Luck.

upload_2019-3-28_5-50-49.png

5. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm. I hadn't thought about that. The clone cable uses the same pin as the packet send (connects to packet controller's PTT), but does not connect to either the 9600 or 1200 bps data out connectors. I'll try and give it a shot.

Thanks.

6. KI7OQF

KI7OQF Ham Member QRZ Page

When Chirp clones your radio, it copies all your settings, and frequencies.
    Then you can save that file, and edit it, like change settings, add or remove channels, repeaters, offsets etc.

7. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I use Chirp with my Baofeng and FT-60.

Chirp now supports the FT7100, but I am having trouble finding out how to create a working cable for it. It won't connect with the various combinations I've tried.

8. KM4FTE

KM4FTE Ham Member QRZ Page

I successfully downloaded data from the FT 7100 using CHIRP. First, you need the right data cable, the correct port in back says "data". Mind the correct pin layout. Second, select "download from radio" on CHIRP. CHIRP will prompt you to follow a few specific steps, namely, to hold down BOTH the "tune" and "rev" buttons when powering on. Next, be sure to hit "tune" again within 3 seconds. This is the step that starts the data transfer to CHIRP. A big difference I noticed with the CHIRP file for the FT 7100 compared to others is that it has separate tabs for each band. You can't can't copy and paste both VHF and UHF bands onto the same page, there are two. It's not a big deal, just take note of it.

KA9JLM likes this.
  9. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

The remainder of your quote is no big deal - I am familiar with that. My issue is the cable. I am trying to home-brew one, and haven't had any luck. The pinout for the radio has three DATA markings - one DATA IN and two DATA OUT (9600 and 1200 bps). I have a USB-TTL card (with FTDI chip) with TX/RX/GND/5V/3V3 pins and can't find a schematic online to make that work. The USB-TTL card works with my FT-60 and my UV-5R+.

Chirp works by making the radio think it's in cloning mode, so I would think the cable would use the PKS/GND pins as shown in my original post. Are you able to verify that your cable is, in fact, using a combination of the DATA pins?

Edit: So, I just came across this image, for the 78/79/8900 series:

http://iz3zvo.altervista.org/program-cable-yaesu-ft-7800-7900-8100-8800-8900-using-cp2102/

8900_cable_scheme_20102.jpg

I had the idea to try the resistor, but didn't work a diode into the mix (may not be necessary - just remove the pin when needed). I'll give that a shot.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  10. KA9JLM

Sometime buying the correct cable can save a lot of frustration.

Save your building skills for something that you can not buy. :)