Programming Ftm-400XDR w/SD card

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KR7KMW, Apr 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KR7KMW

KR7KMW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi! Brand new HAM here. Recently installed a FTM-400XDR in my truck, and I'm loving it so far. But I have a programming question.

Can it be programmed using the SD card? I got the RT Systems software after reading the recommendations on here for it vs the Yaesu software.

I did the format, read off the radio, then did all my writing to the card. Put the card back in the radio. But I still have to plug it into a computer and use "send to radio" from within RT Systems before the programming shows up in the radio. The way it loads, it seems more like the computer is writing to the radio itself.

So, is there a way to get the radio to read off the SD card without a computer?

Thanks for any wisdom!

2. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome new ham!
    Yes, you can read from the SD card to the radio.
    Look at page 152 of the manual, Copying data from the micro-SD card:
    Display - [SD CARD] - [1 BACKU]P - [Read from SD] - then select ALL, MEMORY, or SETUP.
    Touch [OKAY?]. You will see "Completed" when it's completed copying.
    Press Display to get back to the previous screen.

3. KR7KMW

KR7KMW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you! I'm not sure how I missed that! That'll definitely do it.

I plan to set up different SD cards for different areas I travel to, so I won't have to work around lots of useless memory channels. Just swap cards and roll.

Thanks again!

4. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Just for information (in case anyone is ever curious) I am able to use the same SD with three different Yaesu radios: FTM-100, FTM-400 & FT2D. It stores the information for each in different folders. Based on how the folders are named, I would guess that your could not do this with two of the same radio, eg., 2 FTM-400s.

5. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Something to be aware of. The radio has three folders it can write to (Clone, memory, setup) or read. RTS only writes/reads to the clone folder. So moving different memory configurations into the radio will include whatever setup is associated with the memory set you are moving on the computer. You will have to read from the clone folder on the radio to get your channel load. So to keep a stable setup always write your radio setup to the SD card before you remove it. Load the memory configuration you want to the SD card. Read all on the radio then read setup from the SD card to get back to the setup you original had. Clear as mud? :)

W4EAE likes this.
  6. KC9QBY

KC9QBY Ham Member QRZ Page

Mostly n00b here too. I've got the read/write SDCard on the radio understood, but if I were editing on the PC the *.FTM400 file (RTS programmer) and then saving it on the SD card, in which folder on the SDCard should I save the edited file? I think I may have borked this since I used the FTM-400 feature to read from the SDcard, but radio did not pick-up the added channels in the *.FTM400 file I edited on the PC. Appreciate any advice.

7. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If I’m understanding you the RTS file used by the program and stored on the PC is not what you save to the SD card and read by the radio once you put card in radio. RTS program read/write from program’s native structured file format on the PC from a drop down selection. OR read/write from the radio’s native structured file format from the SD card. When you make changes on the PC write to the PC file to store locally and then write to the SD card. Move card from PC to radio, then select from radio menu option to read from card.
    Hoping I am understanding your perspective or I just confused more. Not the first time...
    Good luck.

8. KC9QBY

KC9QBY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for reply. sounds like your advice verifies how it should be done.