Program locking PC

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by M0SEV, Aug 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. M0SEV

M0SEV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Guys
    I do a bit of contesting and recently I can just about get my call off but when I try to complete
    the keyboard freezes and I get the message from hell, quote
    This action cannot be completed because the other application is busy. Choose “switch to “ to activate the busy application and correct the problem
    Switch to retry
    Pressing "switch to" and "retry" does nothing and it locks the PC.
    Has anyone had/resolved this message ? I uninstalled some suspect programs in task manager and isolated the PC from ethernet but it's still there.
    Is there a known background running program that could do this, someone in the world must know. Would appreciate your input.
    Paul/M0SEV

2. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

What operating system are you using? What software are you using (all the software that you think could be running actively or in the background)?

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem is most likely RFI gettting into your computer, not the software itself.

Reduce the power output. Can you find a level at which this does not happen?

Does it happen on all bands, on all modes when using that software? Reduce power?

-Do the usual RFI housekeeping measures.

4. M0SEV

I am using win XP and the program is N1MM which has worked flawlessly for 8 years.
    Taskmanager progs are

Administrator
    Firefox
    Wkdstore
    Wkswp
    Explorer
    Integrator
    Avastui
    Taskmgr
    Local service
    Alg
    Network service
    Msdepsvc
    Schist

System
    Spoolsv
    Wkgdcach
    Aswidsagent
    svchost
    Smss
    Csrss
    win logon
    Services
    Isass
    Svchost
    Seaport
    svchost
    svchost
    Avastsvc
    svchost
    Nothing else was running except N1MM

5. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What exactly does the bold statement mean? About to get my call off?

Is you radio connected to your PC or are you only using N1MM? (nothing else)

If your PC is eight years old, it could be a hardware failure in the making or RFI getting into a cable or something.

6. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As others have asked, does this mean you're transmitting when everything locks up? If so, I'd tend to agree with the posts above that you may have an RFI problem into the computer cables. Does this happen when you transmit into a dummy load? If it only happens when you transmit into an antenna then what antenna system are you using?

If you're just saying that you're typing a call into the keyboard when it locks up but not actually transmitting then it's more likely an issue with corrupted software or a bad software configuration/driver issue.

7. M0SEV

Hi
    I only use CW with max power 100w and ft-450at
    The odd thing is on July 13 it clocked up 320 QSO's in the IARU
    test without a hitch, about a day continuously.
    I thought it had somehow cleared but in the IOTA test, first call
    and I'm kicked into touch, thats why I think it may be a program active some of the time.
    There is interaction to the PC only on 7 mhz, the screen flickers
    when sending.
    There was a previous problem, the program lost touch with the
    radio (connected by catlead) It was suggested that the serial catlead was broken or the comport faulty. I metered the catlead and all lines had continuity and changed the port, but Ok, I bought a serial-usb unit ,a digimaster with an ftdi chip and that worked fine but didn't explain the fault.
    The present Taskmaster programs are
    Administrator
    Firefox
    Wkdstore
    Wkswp
    Explorer
    Integrator
    Avastui
    Taskmgr
    Local service
    Alg
    Network service
    Msdepsvc
    Svchost

System
    Spoolsv
    Wkgdcach - Suspect !!!
    Aswidsagent
    svchost
    Smss
    Csrss
    win logon
    Services
    Isass
    Svchost
    Seaport
    svchost
    svchost
    Avastsvc
    svchost
    I'm keeping an eye on WKGDCACH.exe which comes and goes.
    Do u know it ?
    Paul/M0sev

8. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So it's clear you do have some RF interaction with the computer, that really should not be happening.

Same question as above, do you see any of these symptoms when transmitting into a dummy load and what antenna system are you using?

9. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

it should be easy to see if its RF or not, like others have said, test with a dummy load or turn your xmit power down as far as it can go and try typing with the same software running and operating as you normally would, just with as low output pwr as possible.

another thing to possibly check if its not RF caused is the windows error log, might tell you what happened just before it went into cyberspace.
    if its not RF related have you ran the resource monitor with different watch settings to see if it sheds some light.
    If you have changed software or configured something since the last time XP ran ok, you might try a system restore, I've used that to undo something I messed up, especially with win7

just curious what firefox are you running, I'm using the FSR version 52.9 on my old dell laptop
    and avast version 11.2 still loads virus updates. Usually dont use XP on the internet but still need XP for a couple programs I cant get on linux or win7
    I have quite a few similar services running but nothing like WKGDCACH.exe, Wkswp, or Wkdstore. don't if these are necessary for your setup.

10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

40 Meters is notorious for RFI problems.

-AGAIN, try reducing power to see if there is a level which does not cause a problem.

Further, do basic housekeeping...
    -Untangle cable rats nests, seperate computer from RF cables
    -Coil up cables neatly
    -Try putting chokes on both ends of computer cables. Put as many turns as possible of the cable thru the choke.

N7UJU likes this.