profanity in place names

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by W4ZNG, Apr 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Named after that famous tribe of pygmies... Their average height is 4 foot six and they live in grasslands where the grass is five foot high.

Martin

WN1MB and PU2OZT like this.
  2. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KA2RRK likes this.
  3. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

How about "Intercourse, Pennsylvania"?

An unincorporated village in Leacock Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.

If you're lucky and they're not out of stock, you can buy a Intercourse Fire Department tee shirt!

KA2RRK likes this.
  4. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Couple of ways to pronounce Lititz.
    Mike N3PM

5. W4ZNG

W4ZNG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Huh, this thread has taken some interesting turns. I have used some interesting language on the ticks I picked up this past week in Tate's Hell Swamp, so I guess that's something.

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That name was chosen to attract attention. Shock effect. The show has nothing to do with a creek :)

7. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

There is this place in Newfoundland. The names of the businesses and such are humorous.

Screenshot_20210417-172748.png

N3AB likes this.
  8. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no doubt the name was chosen to elicit a certain reaction and set people up for the tone of the show. I haven't watched a single episode of the show, I only know the general premise.

My point is that the name of the show is not a profanity because it is a common surname in parts of the USA and Canada (the primary market of the show) as well as in Europe (also a market and the origin of the name). Spelling the word like the German surname does not offend the FCC because it does not meet the rules of being demeaning or describing some bodily function. Using the profanity that is a homophone will get the FCC upset because then it crosses that (admittedly thin) line.

Perhaps the FCC rules don't make sense to you but I find it logical enough to allow it to be applied consistently. The rules are a bit arbitrary but that's what happens when one speaks English, a language with many "loan words" from other languages. I'm sure the name "Takashita" gets many giggles from 12 year olds, and people with a 12 year old mind. It is what it is and the FCC/MPAA/etc. has to draw a line somewhere or the basest of material will dominate mass media because that sells.

9. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Newfie, eh? The jokes just write themselves!

KP4SX and KK9W like this.
  10. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

I really like that.