Product Review - The ICOM IC-7000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. NA4IT

NA4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

I case no one has seen them yet, the TV RX mod and MARS mod for the 7000 are on mods.dk.

Now, back to convincing the XYL it would be a good buy because she could watch NASCAR on the way to church on Sunday afternoons!

2. BD1TNO

BD1TNO Ham Member QRZ Page

i like it!,so wonderful

3. K4EEZ

K4EEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred Lloyd, I agree

I think that USB would be the best way to go, they could have introduced it a few years ago back in the production of the 702, 706, 756 etc etc, everything now days has or is USB. I bet Yeasu will still be the first to introduce USB to a radio, and if they don’t then its a loss to all, but wish somehow we could inspire the radio industries to take the USB route instead of the serial path,,, Push Push Push for USB !!!

The Ic7000 looks very nice and I agree there is more room for Improvements
    The RTTY/FSK would have been nice, if it TX as well as RX'ed , why not have 2 USB ports, one for a USB keyboard and one for a P.C then you could have a C.W decoder sender too?

I Also Agree
    That a clock would have been a nice feature to have so as you power down the radio a clock would appear on the LCD screen and stay there tell PWR on...

Another good feather to have which is lacking on all radios is an
    Automatic Audio Control, just push a button and the transmitted audio from a standard Mic would match to its max preference…

SWR meter, oh no here we go…

On the 706 and Mk 2G the SWR meter never worked for 2 meters or 440
    Why would Icom make such an Awesome radio (706 MII-G) and Opps the SWR meter only works for 6 meters and HF, did we forget to add the circuitry or something for that?
    But never the less it is a unique radio.

Fred Lloyd , I guess you could let us know if it works this time round on the IC 7000
    if you could Tnx…

Also how hot dose the radio get when running PSK or RTTY ?

But the best change of all would be to see a radio with a USB port and 100% software to support it.

That’s my 2 cents worth

K4EEZ

PS
    Push Push Push USB!!!

4. KC8RTX

KC8RTX Ham Member QRZ Page

I just purchased this radio and removed the diode for TV reception but I still do not seem to be able to enter the TV mode. It says nothing in my manual or in the downloadable manuals from the Icom websites about TV reception.

Is there anything other than removing the diode to completeing this mod? Does someone have a manual detailing TV reception?

Thanks for any info.

kc8rtx at yahoo dot com

5. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Push and hold down the volume control. To exit, repeat.

6. KJ7YL

KJ7YL Subscriber QRZ Page

Does the IC-7000 have a built in SWR meter for use with the High Sierra Antenna?

7. K4EEZ

K4EEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

8. W7IXA

W7IXA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Fred,

Thanks for the very good synopsis of the IC7000, nicely done! Do you know if a likely button is pressed on the Microphone will they generate all approriate 16 DTMF tones?

Regards,
    Doug - W7IXA

9. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Doug,

Regarding DTMF on the Mic, it's my understanding that the mic does not do DTMF at all. DTMF is programmable in the memories, however.

-fred

10. KC0NPF

KC0NPF Guest

about that "room for improvement" and the USB port

HERE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is how to bring new hams into the hobby

73 All KC0NPF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.