ad: ProAudio-1

Product Review: Bluetooth Baofeng Programmer.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4RZM, Jun 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4RZM

K4RZM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

sm_Baofeng Bluetooth Programmer.png

It took a bit to get this little gadget to work, but once I found workarounds for the glitches I was able to clone one Baofeng to another in about a minute.
    The main glitch was that the app would crash if it does not see both a TX and RX frequency. I had some weather channels on the unit I was cloning, that did not have TX frequencies, which caused the app to fail. Once I stuck 146.52 into the TX fields it worked like a charm.
    This programmer sells on Amazon for about $13 and is made by TidRadio.

I'm pretty new to the whole Ham/YouTube world, so any comments or criticism is welcome.

M1WML, K3RW, GETOFFMYLAWN and 2 others like this.
  2. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

$13? That's more than the radio is worth!:cool: I kid, but the capability is neat! Would be nice to be able to do with some of my mobiles and hand helds. Good job.

M1WML, GETOFFMYLAWN and K4RZM like this.
  3. GETOFFMYLAWN

GETOFFMYLAWN QRZ Member

Is this basically a bluetooth to serial adapater and a repackaged version of Chirp?

M1WML likes this.
  4. K4RZM

Yes its basically a Bluetooth Serial Adapter, and No, its nothing like Chirp.
    The apps programming interface is not awesome.
    I had already programmed the Baofengs with Chirp, then used this device to clone the channels and settings to a freshly factory reset Baofeng.

W0OLL, M1WML and GETOFFMYLAWN like this.
  5. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes we go down paths that make no sense at all.

M1WML, W7XLR and K9GLS like this.
  6. N8HCS

N8HCS Ham Member QRZ Page

I cant find this thing on amazon

M1WML likes this.
  7. K4RZM

It sold out at its original listing and Tidradio has just created a new listing for the product that will be 'in stock soon'.
    Basically there were issues with the programing app when it first came out, so to rid themselves of the negative reviews they re-released the product.
    The current product link is: https://amzn.to/2SnSW5D

M1WML likes this.
  8. K2HJ

K2HJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I cannot locate the Odmaster android app on the Google Play store - has the name been changed?

M1WML likes this.
  9. K4RZM

I just checked and it's not coming up for me either.
    The version I have on my phone is still the same name.
    Maybe they are pushing an update?
    I messaged my contact at Tidradio to see whats going on.

M1WML likes this.
  10. K4RZM

I received the following reply from Tidradio:

TIDRADIO sent Yesterday at 10:38 PM
    Sorry, there is a problem with our App, it is under repair. You can download it through this link.
    bit.ly/Odmasterdownload

M1WML likes this.
  11. K2HJ

K2HJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for looking into this. 73

M1WML likes this.
  12. K4RZM

M1WML likes this.
  13. K4RZM

M1WML likes this.
  14. KM4OOD

KM4OOD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Android only Application and its now 20$ on Amazon, I can buy a radio for a few bucks more and use one of the many cables I have for my baofengs. It's a neat idea but it's not for many folks. Thanks for the post.

15. K4RZM

At least they finally got the app back on the Google Play Store, that's good news.
    I agree that is has limited use if you already have the cables and Chirp. The only scenario I could come up with when I made the video would be cloning multiple boefengs in the field to the same channels and settings.

I did discover another possible use that I'll be posting in a near future video. They are sending me a set of FRS radios to test, which can be programmed with the same Dongle to use any channel from 400 to 480 mhz. So will be testing that out too and testing how their FRS radios work as a 70cm, 2 watt, ham radio.
    Again, not much practical use, but it gives me something to tinker with.