ad: GNOHF-1

Procedure

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KB1CKT, Aug 26, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve , this phenomenon is why I like straight keys ....

You could tell who the operator was by his inflection .... His fist ....

Cool ! !

JB

2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. W5BIB

'JBC... exactly... Every operator had his own "style". A good intercept operator could always pick up the 'fist' during a comms change.:cool:Even if they changed call-signs &/or freqs... (you can run, but you can't hide !!!) :cool:

WB5YUZ likes this.
  4. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

W5BIB do you think some people can use many different styles of sending whether on straight key, bug, and/or elkey, they can emulate many different styles, in the same way some people can mimic various accents and speak different languages. I know many OPs I can spot right away by their style, but I don't think it applies to everyone, even if not close to "perfect" ICW? 77 and always enjoy your posts!

W5BIB likes this.
  5. K6FNI

K6FNI Ham Member QRZ Page

Great thread. Wish I'd seen this back at the end of 2014 when I was trying to get up the nerve for my first CW QSO.

Robert, K6FNI

VK5EEE likes this.
  6. W5BIB

Certainly Lou. Over the years there have been many operators trained / talented in the art of "Imitative Deception". :cool: Some CW operators have only one style,... while others are able to "duplicate' many different styles / fists, and procedures as well.;)

77 de Steve
    dit dit

7. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

HIHI a pity I never got paid to do so :) need to rewind time to get a job! Then again, maybe it's time to bring back telegrams and CW!

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

What do you say in a QSO, when do you say it?
    I have noticed this seems to be less importaint to seasoned ops but the newbies need a "format" to stick to, to make it easier for a beginner to keep track of the information in a QSO.

When I was just getting on the air in my novice days, I was advised to send your info to the other station in order of it's importance to him.

Once you answer a CQ or get an answer to your CQ, the first exchange should be;
    First the callsigns, beginning the QSO.
    Then the signal report, his RST.
    This is importaint to him so he knows how well he is being received. He will know if he can just send his info once or repeat so you can copy if the readability isn't perfect.
    Next, your QTH. He would like to know how far he is getting out, nice to know how well his station gear and band are working at this time.
    Finally your name, so the other op knows what to call you.

This gets the ball rolling and then you can go to the second exchange, maybe what gear and antenna you are using and the weather in your location,
    Then on the next exchange you can go to some personal info like your age and how long you have been hamming and maybe your occupation ETC...

If a newbie op knows roughly when what info is coming, it weill be easier to get it copied and understood.
    Hope this helps the new CW ops out / :D

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    WB5YUZ, VK5EEE, KB0TT and 1 other person like this.
  9. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

As a new CW Op I'm trying to pick this stuff up and I have a question about responding with "R" to the preceding transmission. I hear some ops send "R R R" then go on to say "CPY MOST". As a new operator there are lots of times where I copied 80% - 90% so what should my initial response to the preceding transmission be? Is there a standard to say "Well I got a good part of that but I missed ... "?

Thank you.

10. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

If you don't copy 100 percent solid, then I wouldn't send "R." At least that is the way I do it.

WB5YUZ likes this.