Procedure to report line interference to FCC

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5KUB, Oct 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W5KUB

    W5KUB Ham Member QRZ Page

    Tune in to Amateur Radio Roundtable Tues night at 8:00 PM central time on Co-host Riley Hollingsworth, retired Special Counsel to the FCC will tell us the new and correct procedure for reporting power line interference to the FCC. Also on the show will be Martin F. Jue, founder of MFJ Enterprises and will be talking about refurbishing some vintage radios. Pat K7LNP will introduce our new segment about 50 Mhz and Above. Chat room and phone lines are open for our viewers to call in with comments and questions. This show is also simulcast on shortwave station WBCQ on 5130 Khz every Tues night. Also dont forget to drop in and see what Katie Allen is up to.
  2. MW6ZAN

    MW6ZAN Ham Member QRZ Page

    Nice to see that the FCC does in fact take notice of radio amateurs in the USA, over here in the uk our spectrum administration OFCOM or OFCUM as I like to call the money grabbing wasters, that do bugger all resolving interference to radio amateurs in the uk. But hey watch out if you so much a put a line on some ones tv picture then your arse is grass swear play music on repeaters key over qsos no problem. Happy thoughts 73
  3. KT1F

    KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

    Of course the first place to report it to is the power company. FCC is a last resort if that doesn't work.
    W4NNF, KC8VWM and N0TZU like this.
  4. K3KIC

    K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

    I'm interested in Riley's comments. My uncle used to be Chief Engineer for one of the large electric utilities in my state. He always told me to file a complaint with the state utility commission. Said they get logged and tracked and that the PUC got on the utility for them. I did that with an over voltage issue that my own utility wouldn't address. Got a phone call the next day and resolved in another.

    I know that over voltage is more serious than power line interference but it's one avenue to pursue.
    N0TZU likes this.
  5. N0TZU

    N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    That works for investor-owned, i.e., for profit utilities, but member owned cooperative associations and municipal utilities usually aren't regulated by public utilities commissions. But hopefully they would be responsive to a complaint by a coop member or a citizen.

    I recently made my first noise complaint ever to our rural electric association. The crew came one week later and fixed the problem.
    KC8VWM likes this.
  6. K3KIC

    K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

    A lot depends on state regulations. My mother lived in a small town in central PA that owned the electric utility. She also got great customer service for issues. Neighbors usually help neighbors in rural areas.
  7. KA2RRK

    KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    This form of report always gets them to fix it.
    Carefully placed under the source.

    The only problem is it only works well on October 30th @ one hour before midnight,
    AND you have to dress up for the occasion and it helps to several unknowing helpers.
    And a means to getting away from the area.


  8. N0TZU

    N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    Yes, could be that some states regulate them so one needs to check. Interestingly, five or six of our larger cities have their own utilities since the dawn of the electric age, and they work very well. Some have or are installing gigabit fiber internet to every address. I wish I was in their service area for that, but then I'd need to live in the city :eek: .

    Xcel is the major investor-owned utility, mostly in and around Denver.
  9. KC8VWM

    KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page


    Exactly... :)

Share This Page