Problems with Multi-Grid Satellite Logging for Ham Radio Deluxe

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K3RRR, Jul 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K3RRR

K3RRR Ham Member QRZ Page

Problems with Multi-Grid Satellite Logging for Ham Radio Deluxe

Hi folks,

I know this subject must have been dealt with before because I remember reading it back in the day when I did not care what your grid locator was… I just wanted to make contact with you!

Now that I've accidentally stumbled into 107 confirmed satellite grids, my Type A behavior has kicked in… Now I want credit for all the past grids that I worked. Moving forward with this quest, I've uncovered two problems:
    1. I did not write down grids when logging since I had read that the grid information actually came from the new LOTW location set up by the rover station. That does not seem to be so for Ham Radio Deluxe. It only appears to log the default locator based on its Lookup function that populates all the usual fields of name, state, etc.

2. The second problem that I am having with the Ham Radio Deluxe Logging module: Even when I enter "grid,grid" as the locator, and even though it shows both grids in the contact info in my log - when I get verification back from the rover showing both of their grids in the LOTW ADI file, the HRD Award Tracking Module only sees the first entry and never gives credit for the second entry.
    I've got to believe that with as many people who use Ham Radio Deluxe that this issue has been solved in the past so I don't have to reinvent the wheel. If anyone has sites or docs I can reference, I would appreciate the URLs.

The other issue that I have once I resolve the problems with HRD: correcting all of my past satellite log entries that were from multiple grids so that the Awards Tracking Module is properly crediting those other grids that I had not previously entered.

Does LOTW offer a way to download a CSV file for Excel of just those logged entries that were for satellites? That way, I could sort and compare against my own log entries so that I can manually update them. Again, this part is probably irrelevant until I resolve the above issues with HRD.

Thoughts, ideas, solutions, locations of previously invented wheels, appreciated - For both any dumbassness on my part and/or software issues!

Robert
    K3RRR

PS: Up to now, the Ham Radio Deluxe logging module has been fantastic - and frankly the only reason I have kept subscribing to an otherwise muchly worthless program. I'm really not looking for recommended other logging programs. I'll don my Don Quixote armor and tilt and joust with HRD to try, once more, to get them to fix their damn software yet again.

2018-07-06_14-03-44.jpg 2018-07-06_14-00-44.jpg 2018-07-06_13-57-22.jpg 2018-07-06_13-02-59.jpg

2. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately there are several logging programs that exhibit this same behavior. I have been using AC Log since about 2011 and it does the same thing. It is a manual reconciliation process for me, but I've been doing it long enough that now the LoTW record for EM21 matches what is confirmed for gridsquares in my local ACL Log database (1053.) The fix in AC Log is essentially to log multiple grid QSO's as separate, and then manually mark them as confirmed when the LoTW/card comes in...

K3RRR likes this.
  3. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As far as I know, DXKeeper is the only software that handles multi-grid QSOs properly, which is why I use it for my logging.

K3RRR likes this.
  4. K3RRR

K3RRR Ham Member QRZ Page

But I don't like those answers, boys! But guess I will have to deal with the reality. Out of curiosity, I went to check with LOTW says the number is v. 107 Satellite VUCC...turns out, if I read this right, that the real number is already 147.

What I don't understand is that with all the SO-50 contacts with the uplink on 145, I should have a whole more than one grid confirmed on two meters! Even HRD shows me at 99 worked and 65 confirmed on 145...so not sure where the disconnect is here???

Ideas?

2018-07-06_18-59-25.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  5. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Satellite QSOs don't count for anything except satellite - that's true for VUCC, WAS, and DXCC.

Ask the HRD developers to implement proper multi-grid and satellite award support. Dave, AA6YQ, has worked with the satellite community to make DXKeeper work flawlessly for satellite QSOs and satellite award tracking. On the other hand, HRD has never shown that level of support of the satellite community. In fact, their developers once stated that something SatPC32 does flawlessly in terms of Doppler tuning on the Icom IC-9100 is impossible.

WD4DXQ, K3RRR, KO4MA and 3 others like this.