Problems with a new FT3DR

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KE0YRP, Dec 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KE0YRP

KE0YRP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, guys. I have a new FT3DR that I set up today. I tuned both the FT3DR and my FTM400 that I use in the house to the local Fusion room. The FTM400 worked fine, but the FT3DR did not... I could see who was talking on the FT3DR, but pure white noise came out of the speaker. I made sure it was set to DN, and it was. I thought it was odd that a local repeater wouldn't be making it into my radio's front end. I swapped the rubber duck for a signal stick, and the problem continues.

Any thoughts? I'm wondering if I have a bad radio.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. KE0YRP

Nevermind... I got it working :)

3. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

Come on, ya gotta tell us what was wrong! ;)

4. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, them’s the rules .....

5. KE0YRP

I had the channels set to AM mode in the RT Systems software. Apparently it doesn't work, even when you set the mode to DN on the HT. Changing the mode to DN in RT Systems, then writing to the HT solved the issue.

You'd think the HT would know to operate in DN if it's set to that. I learned something.

6. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, now I don't have to buy RT software. I got mine working the old fashioned way with pliers and duct tape

7. KE0YRP

seems legit

8. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That would be innovative, but Yaesu thinks innovation is a color screen.

Other than the color, its lipstick on a ft2dr.

9. KE0YRP

The speaker is supposedly much better on the FT3 vs FT2. That and the screen were enough for me to buy it on black Friday

10. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The screen is much better.

I don't remember the speaker on my ft2dr. The speaker on the FT3DR is the worst sound of all that I own (icon, hytera, unication, kenwood, uniden). Speaker sound quality is a pretty common complaint on the FT3DR. Unplugging a rubber port cover on the side helps a little.