ad: Schulman-1

PROBLEMS GETTING QRZ MEMBERS (WITH LOGBOOKS) TO CONFIRM

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by W5HWU, May 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5HWU

W5HWU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings. I have followed the posted procedure for requesting QSLs from other members who are logging on QRZ.com (their call signs are dark blue). I have requested 84 confirmations by checking the box on the right side of the logbook pages. After all the requests (for each page) have been checked, I have clicked on the "actions button" at the bottom of the page.

Each request is confirmed by a small blue dot at the far right of each line that is specific to each call sign. For the past three weeks I have 84 requests pending and no confirmations. It is difficult for me to believe that all of my 84 requests have been ignored.

I am 78 years old and I'm trying to qualify for a DX100 certificate before I croak. The clock is ticking and so is my pacemaker. It appears that I may have to send email requests to each of my 84 contacts, begging them to confirm on QRZ.

The thing that is so frustrating about this situation is the fact that many of the 84 people have confirmed on LOTW, which allowed me to qualify for a DXCC (cw) award last month. All of my QSOs are logged on QRZ and LOTW.

It would be nice if QRZ.com accepted my LOTW confirmations, in addition to accepting my LOTW ADIF files. It is my understanding that confirmations from other logging services cannot be accepted. This is the policy at LOTW and I am assuming that this is the policy at QRZ.com.

I'm sure I'm not the first QRZ subscriber to experience this problem. I would appreciate your input or any advice you may offer.

Many thanks and best wishes to all,

Cecil R. Chaudoir
    W5HWU

2. DU7DVE

DU7DVE Ham Member QRZ Page

It may be a difference of time logged. I have 3 incoming requests that I can't confirm because the time on my paper log seems to be different from the time entered by the person at the other end.

3. W5HWU

Thanks for responding. Sorry for the delay. I have health issues.

I understand that a certain percentage of all QSOs get logged incorrectly. That's normal.
    Please understand that I have not received acknowledgement from any of my 84 contacts.
    In 2016, 75% of my QSOs logged on QRZ were confirmed. In 2017, that percentage has dropped to 45%. I prefer not to speculate on the reasons for this lower percentage of confirmations. Any ideas?

4. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Cecil,
    Not too terribly long ago there was a rash of folks who were not receiving confirmation because they were logging their contacts in LOCAL time instead of UTC. Maybe that is it?

5. W5HWU

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate your feedback.

I use a dual digital clock (MFJ -12/24) which sits on top of my FT-950, just about 24 inches in front of me in plain view. I have programmed Arkansas UTC time and Milton, Australia time into this clock.

The UTC time is the ONLY time I use on all of my logging and communications and has been for three years. During this time I have successfully logged 827 QSOs on LOTW, receiving a DXCC (CW) Award about five weeks ago.

During the same time period, I have logged 929 QSOs on QRZ.com (mostly DX), receiving an
    All Continents Award over a year ago and 127 confirmations for W5HWU and KG5CCJ combined.

If you view my W5HWU logbook, you can see that there are 59 requests for confirmation scattered across the 41 pages of my logbook. Only four (4) of those station operators have acknowledged my requests. Fifty-five (55) have not. None have confirmed. Those requests have been in place for about three weeks.

Perhaps the above fifty-five operators don't understand the difference between local time and UTC time, but I doubt it. Perhaps they have not paid attention to their incoming messages.
    As for the four (4) who acknowledged my requests (but did not confirm), I don't understand the problem. A simple email would help.

Best wishes, Dave. Thanks for trying to help. I love QRZ.com. Great service to hams everywhere.
    73s,
    Cecil, W5HWU

6. AD0WG

AD0WG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ does accept LOTW confirmations. From your log's List view, click on 'Settings' in the upper right corner, then on the 'Download from LOTW' button. Enter your LOTW website login password. Your LOTW confirmations will show as circles around the yellow stars.

N4AAB likes this.
  7. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I apparently had differences in my LotW and QRZ logbooks. 32 confirmations and 20 countries now. Thats an improvement.

Thanks !

8. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm an old timer too, Cecil. I'm guessing there are multiple reasons for what you are experiencing. I encourage all hams to log in UTC and only UTC. On HF at least, radio is global, so regional time zones don't fit a need when QSLing. Furthermore, it works best if everyone logs the START time of each contact.

I'd guess that you lose some confirmations simply because others forget to use QRZ.com or don't care to at a particular moment. I'm from the snail-mail QSLing era, and what worked for snail-mail should work electronically. Volume works. Make more contacts with each entity you you need. You're bound to get confirmation with enough QSOs. Sadly, electronically logging appears to have no equivalent to sending a snail-mail card with a SAE (self addressed envelope), with a hand scrawled plea on your card. The guilt factor doubtlessly accounted for some of my paper cards.

Good luck with your pursuit! 73

Gary

9. W5HWU

Thanks for replying, Gary. I appreciate your comments, history and suggestions. Forgive me for not replying promptly, I'm having some serious heart problems and the medication has
    zapped my energy. Not feeling well.

The primary reason I am in a hurry to earn a DX100 certificate is the above medical problem and my ability to operate CW in the near future. I am not seeking sympathy, simply stating the fact that my CW days may be over soon.

The second reason for my impatience is the fact that John L. Casey(author of Dark Winter), NASA and the Russian solar physicists are correct in their predictions of another "grand solar minimum" in 2031. Sunspot Cycle No. 24 has been the weakest cycle in over 100 years. The solar flux index (and sunspot numbers) will continue to diminish as we progress towards the end of Cycle 24. Propagation during Cycle 25 is predicted to be much worse.

Cycle 25 is predicted to end about 2031, which is the beginning of perhaps a thirty-year period of very low solar output (based on the new dual-dynamo theory of Prof. Valentina Zharkova).

https://www.ras.org.uk/news-and-press/2680-irregular-heartbeat-of-the-sun-driven-by-double-dynamo

I feel fortunate in having worked 151 countries over the past three years, under difficult conditions, but the clock is ticking. I did manage to earn a DXCC (cw) award in March, 2017.

Perhaps it's time to follow your suggestion and start mailing QSL cards (with hand-written pleas and lot's of green stamps). Hopefully, I'll still be here to receive the replies.

Best wishes, Gary. Good hunting.
    73s,
    Cecil
    W5HWU

10. W5HWU

Thanks, Roger.
    Please forgive me for not responding sooner. I did upload about 75 ADI files to QRZ.com before I was forced to stop due to my heart condition. I will continue uploading my entire collection of ADI files soon. Thanks for your help and your outline of the correct procedure.

Thank you for your contribution to amateur radio.

Best wishes and good hunting,
    73s,
    Cecil