Problem with XLog and Debian 9 Linux

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KD0KZE, Jul 8, 2017.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've recently upgraded to Debian 9 and there's an issue with XLog. Things seem to run okay, but when you try to quit XLog it hangs for a minute or two, the main dialog goes blank for awhile until it finally closes. Anyone else notice this issue, or know of a fix -- sort of irritating.

73, KD0KZE / Paul

2. KF5RRF

KF5RRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

@KD0KZE

Since you didn't mention it, are you running "stable" or "testing"? One thing you can try is opening a shell and running xlog from there. There's usually some informational messages that are normally hidden when the application runs in the GUI that can be seen when run from a shell.

You could also see if there's a way to enable debugging.

Try:
    Code:
    man xlog
    or
    Code:
    xlog --help

3. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Debian 9 Stretch is based on stable, I believe (just released a couple weeks ago). I see that XLog was originally compiled against GTK2 libraries, but most Linux distros put more emphasis on GTK3 now. The only other thing I can think of is that XLog could hang if it's trying to connect to hamlib on the wrong device, but I have that turned off.

Launching it from command-line produces this at start-up, but no message while it hangs during shut-down:
    (xlog:622): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: value "-2145887523" of type 'gint' is invalid or out of range for property 'weight' of type 'gint'

Maybe I'll try to contact the author of the program, I see his e-mail is listed on the 'about' screen.

73, KD0KZE / Paul