Problem with WSJT-X (new version) and JT-Alert

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W0JMP, Mar 21, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. W0JMP

W0JMP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been successfully using WSJT-X v1.1, r3459 with JT Alert v2.4.13 for some time.

I updated WSJT-X to v1.4.0 rc4 r5031. Now, JT Alert does not play with the new version and does not "dock" to the WSJT-X window.

I know it is probably something simple in the setting of one program or the other, but I have spent several hours trying to figure it out without success.

I am using Windows 7 BTW.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

Dan, W0JMP

2. K9OJT

K9OJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you using the latest version of JT Alert? One may be dependent upon the other.

The latest version of JT Alert is 2.6.1.

Please keep us informed on how this turns out. I have been reluctant to do the upgrade as Norton reports a virus at the upgrade site.

This is most likely a false positive but one can't too careful.

Good luck and good DX!!!

Mike K9OJT

K1GND likes this.
  3. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had no issues (so far) with rc4 r5031 and JT Alert using windows7.

Aside from docking, is JT Alert performing its other functions properly?

It may well be an issue as to what directory the programs reside in...

Bill N9DSJ

4. W0JMP

Mike, I have not updated JT Alert also becasue Norton says it is not safe.

Bill, no, JT alert does not capture or report the stations shown on WSJT-X. I could live with only a docking problem.

I have resorted bac to the old version of WSJT-x.......after using JT Alert, I find that it is difficult to live without.

Thanks for your input.

Dan, W0JMP

5. N9DSJ

Dan,

Is rc4 r5031 executable in the exact same directory as the older WSJT-X version?

Understand not wanting to sacrifice JT-alert, I would miss it too....

Bill N9DSJ

6. W0JMP

Bill, I am not sure. How do I check that?

Thanks so much for your help!

Dan, W0JMP

7. N9DSJ

You should be able to right mouse click on the executable and see the target location.

When you start JT-alert do you get a message that WSJT-X needs to be started first?

I tried a re-install of both wsjtx-1.4.0-rc4 and JT-alert 2.6.0 (I also got the trojan alert on 2.6.1 so did not install it - same as Mike). I used the defaults and do not seem to have the issue you have.

Bill N9DSJ

8. W0JMP

Well now I think I really fouled it up Bill. I tried to correct the target location on JTAlert but now it only shows JT65HF and not WSJTX as applications. Maybe I should delete it and reload and use the defaults?

I had it working OK with the older version of WSJT-X...I guess I should have left well enough alone!

Thanks again for your help...I will see if I can dig any deeper.

Dan, W0JMP

9. NS3L

NS3L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

!! Edited !!! Your running the wrong JT Alert.. You need to go into the folder where it jt alert resides and find JT alert X. Create shortcuts and run that ones that are for WSJT-X..

From the web location.. http://hamapps.com/

"Important JTAlert-X for WSJT-X information.

There is no separate executable, only an additional desktop shortcut that will start JTAlert in WSJT-X mode.
    When JTAlert-X is first run, it sets up a new configuration file exclusively for WSJT-X. Your existing JT65-HF config is safe and unchanged.
    When you run JTAlert-X for the first time, it is important to open the Settings and setup your Own Callsign and the logging. Also check the Wanted Alerts to make sure they have their sounds set correctly. Note: settings you have for JT65-HF are not migrated to the WSJT-X settings so be sure to check your settings.
    This new WSJT-X configuration maintains JT9, JT65A, any mode and Digital mode Wanted lists, separate from your existing JT65-HF lists. You may want to do a Log Scan to update the lists by reading your existing log.
    Since the JTAlert-X configuration is independent of your existing JTAlert (for JT65) configuration, it is possible to run JTAlert (for JT65) and JTAlert-X (for JT9) concurrently.

Steve NS3L

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  10. NS3L

NS3L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A little more info and clarification after looking my install.. I'm running WSJT-X V1.3 R3673, and JT Alert-X 2.6.1 under Windows 8.1.. JT Alert 2.6.1 now has JT Macros-X built in.. (JT Alert-X, Settings, JT Macros) All play together no problems.. Steve NS3L

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015