Problem with FT-857

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KI6JB, Dec 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI6JB

KI6JB Ham Member QRZ Page

My FT-857 does not appear to put out a usable SSB HF signal on 40M (maybe other bands as well but I haven’t tried). I have it connected to an FC-30 tuner and a Buddipole. The Buddipole is tuned to better than 2.0:1 and the FC-30 takes it to almost 1.0:1. When speaking into the mic, the power meter indicates power and the modulation meter indicates modulation, but the ALC meter indicates zero regardless of high the mic gain is turned up. No one has been able to hear me, even when conditions are good and I have strong receive signals. I am guessing I am putting out just a tone but I am not sure. I have done a master reset of the radio and that made no difference. There are numerous threads on getting ALC set up correctly but I have not seen one where this particular problem has been seen.

I have the radio remotely installed in my truck camper. Before I tear it out and put it on the bench, has anyone seen anything like this before? I am puzzled by the seemingly normal indications of power out and modulation, but zero ALC.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. N2HJK

N2HJK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Firstly, have you done a comprehensive test of frequencies using a dummy load?

Also, there are a set of hidden menus on the 857, that are only accessible by holding the A B C keys while powering up. These are factory soft alignment parameters that control receive sensitivity and RF power output by bands and modes. There is no way they can be changed without deliberately entering the service mode as above. IF you did, these parameters if changed by the user or technician DO NOT get reset with a master reset. and if you did monkey with them (like I did) you need to do an alignment of the radio, using an rf generator, and a precision wat tmeter for the transmit. (please don't ask me how I know this, it seemed like a good idea at the time). Details are in the 857 Service manual that you can find online.

3. NV7LV

NV7LV Ham Member QRZ Page

So what did you find out. It has been 6 mths.