Probably been asked 100 times. FTdx3000 vs. IC-7300?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE3GZB, Nov 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

Which would you choose and why?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

My preference is the Heathkit SB-7300.... amazing radio!

Dave
    W7UUU

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WA8FOZ, K2CAJ, W4IOA and 15 others like this.
  3. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

ha-ha, TS590-S, just because

WA8FOZ, W4LJ and KA4DPO like this.
  4. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, a few more details. I have an IC-7300 and primarily use it on HF digital modes.

It’s nice and compact. During FT8 use with the AGC off, the front end can be easily overloaded if a local ham station starts transmitting.

I saw a recent opportunity of a new FTdx3000 on sale.

Would the Yaesu perform on HF digital modes any better than the Icom?

73s.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes and Yes.

I have an IC-7300 and love it for the most part. But it does indeed suffer from overload with powerful adjacent signals. So that's why I kept my Yaesu FT-950. It handles overload much better - I also prefer the super-narrow digital filters of the Yaesu for certain CW contacts. I use the 950 for FT-8 most of the time - but being on a patch bay with my other rigs, it's very easy to switch in and out as needed.

The 7300 is a GREAT radio but at the end of the day, it's a "bells and whistles-laden entry level radio" - but it's a LOT of fun to use :)

Dave
    W7UUU

K9DWB, KE0EYJ, W4LJ and 2 others like this.
  6. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It doesn't matter. They're all the same.

7. W7UUU

No, actually. They are not. At least in my case, the 950 has significant performance advantages over the 7300 and they are obvious! But the 7300 is much more fun :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KN4LGK, PY2RAF and VE3GZB like this.
  8. W5TTW

I disagree.

9. W7UUU

So please expound on that - I always like to hear differing opinions.

I figure that since I have BOTH a Yaesu FT-950 (no, not a 3000 but somewhat close) and an IC-7300, that I have a pretty good handle on what each does well and what each does not-so-well.

Please - share your thoughts. I mean it seriously and I'm NOT trying to "argue" - I just want to have you share your opinions as to why

I'm assuming you own both as well?

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  10. W5TTW

Connect to a computer, use HRD and they're all the same to me.