ad: GNOHF-1

PRO pirate: can't believe this

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by MM0VPY, Aug 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. MM0LID

MM0LID Ham Member QRZ Page

Dislike by people it would seem yes. UK does not have a public license system like the FCC, Verifications are done by the authorities should there be anything as such as this.
    Which they have done.

This is exactly what is going on, not just 1 guy, I.P address verification has been obtained and the sources have been identified, through matching the I.P addresses to the people with proper spots they have made for people or spotting others

No not me, owned a FT101ZD back in 2002. but not purchased one recently.

2. G1TWS

G1TWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Deleted

3. MM0LID

MM0LID Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally requested the call. Being a contester, it was meant to be a bit of fun.

It has already been established, that OFCOM have errors in their database, which they have told me they will rectify, when i contacted them over the past few days. the license was renewed in Feburary 2016. i did not request my details to be witheld. so as for not showing in the callbook, its beyond me.

4. KI6EFA

KI6EFA Ham Member QRZ Page

someone's been listening to HAARP a little much

5. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps if you didn't wear that eye patch and a tricorn hat you wouldn't be thought a pirate arrr matey

W7JZE, WU8Y and MM0LID like this.
  6. AA7BQ

AA7BQ Administrator Staff Member Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And that's a problem for QRZ. We honestly do not know if MM0LID is a valid, active call sign or not. We've had reports from one amateur who claims to have contacted OFCOM and verified that it was not active, not assigned to anyone. Apparently, the root call sign, M0LID, is the one that one must inquire about because of the odd UK rules that have people use a variety of location-based call sign modifiers.

M0LID becomes MM0LID when operating in (Scotland?). Okay, I see their intent, but as a database person, I see it as a waste of namespace... but I digress...

At this moment, QRZ cannot verify, one way or the other, if this call is valid. We don't know how to contact OFCOM, of if they will give us any info, or, if their records are trustworthy. It's a mess. We were presented with a license certificate (letter), ostensibly from OFCOM, which indicated validity for MM0LID. This is confusing because I was under the impression that they only issued the one call sign (M0LID) and you, yourself, added the second M (MM0LID) when you were in Scottland. I would not have expected them to issue a certificate for every UK variation of your call.

Finally, the OFCOM letters/licenses come in PDF format and are pitifully easy to edit and/or forge.

If the call is a pirate, we want to remove it as soon as possible. If it is legitimate, we don't want to disturb it.

At this point in time, I feel that we should take no action at all, until someone can convince us of its legal status one way or the other.

-fred AA7BQ

KD4MOJ, W7JZE and KD8ZMN like this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I heard the gentleman operating as W5/MM0LID many times a couple of months back. Maybe he was using a remote? Don't know and don't care. Seemed to be a good CW operator.
    Non-hams faking a callsign and getting on fone to play 'ham' are not a new thing and are often dead giveaways. A guy on CW at 30 wpm signing W5/portable doesn't raise my level of suspicion. Maybe if he had signed P5/MM0LID :)
    I think the OP has a 'bustle in his hedgerow'.

WU8Y likes this.
  8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

This is an obvious offline feud.

W4LAF, N7CTB and KC3JIN like this.
  9. GM0OBX

GM0OBX Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to burst peoples wee bubble of whats going on.

You will see that mm0lid has been removed from QRZ. This is because it is confirmed he has been pirating the call since 2007.

He also made a fake license document to produce on request.

In short Scott McLeman only holds MM3AWD (M3AWD) which has NO CEPT NO REMOTE AND 10W PEP ONLY.

So yes he was cheating and yes he was a fake.

Billy
    GM0OBX

KG5LRP and MM0JTV like this.
  10. MM0JTV

MM0JTV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

theirs a 14 page thread on this clown on ham radio deals about his antics the guy is a compulsive liar end off

he has ripped people off on more than one occasion and is giving the hobby in scotland a bad name

pirate station end off ..