ad: Schulman-1

Private Citizens Sending Up Satellite for UFO Research - HAM OPERATORS NEEDED!

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by DAVECOTEFILM, Jan 27, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. DAVECOTEFILM

DAVECOTEFILM QRZ Member

I am Dave Cote, and have started a crowdfunded project to launch a cubesat into low earth orbit for the study of extraterrestrial intelligence. There are many sightings and a lot of credible witness testimony in regards to this subject, so we would like to get some hard data that can be proven/refuted.
    Please take a look at our indiegogo project (now closed, but raised $16600 USD) http://igg.me/at/cubesatlaunch
    We have a continuation of the project now on kickstarter: http://kck.st/1Q1bChr
    We are planning to use the HAM frequency(ies) to send data down from the cubesat to earth, in hex (or datafax protocol.) From what we understand, we should be able to send a 100kb packet every few minutes, and this will enable us to send image thumbnails from space, along with some basic EM data.
    We need help from the HAM community, in capturing the data and relaying it to our site. There will be a 15 minute window whereby a HAM operator can download from the cubesat, and then another volunteer would be needed for the next 15 minute time window, on the subsequent earth location.
    Can you help with this?

2. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

KE0RG and K2NCC like this.
  3. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's been an international conference dealing with the use of non-amateurs in the amateur satellite bands.
    Just because they'll use amateurs to copy the signals (they could just as well not do that) doesn't make this an amateur project.
    This is an exploitation of the amateur frequencies and is not in the best interest of amateur communications.
    Given enough resources, the amateur allocations will be filled with garbage. The interference, to properly coordinated frequency use, is to be avoided.
    There is no good reason to use the amateur frequencies for this purposed activity. There are satellite frequencies that can be used for this purpose it's just easier to take a shortcut to use the amateur bands, illegally.
    So, no, I would not support this activity.

Have fun
    Gary

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    K6CLS, WR2E, WB4WHJ and 6 others like this.
  4. KG5KOG

KG5KOG Ham Member QRZ Page

I think there is enough of SETI advanced research, even for any type of NEO, already going on.
    Not only do you have amateur optical telescopes doing this, but amateur radio telescopes as well.

I don't see how a cube sat could do any better.

NX6ED likes this.
  5. VE3TLT

VE3TLT Ham Member QRZ Page

I would half to agree as well....

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Don't know if that's a typo or intentional but I like it :)

Dave
    W7UUU

WJ4U likes this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

There is plenty of garbage floating around in space we don't more especially transmitting in the amateur bands.

K2ATJ and (deleted member) like this.
  8. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that a quote from an AMSAT presentation?

9. AF7YE

AF7YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Does not appear to be much interest from this ham community. This does sound like an interesting project - technology wise - for a ham group. Since no one on the project is a ham they should look at using non-ham frequencies.

10. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you need some kind of permit for that? Or because it's a satellite you can do what you want?

Are there any amateur operators in your group?

When will the film come out?

11. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Note to self ,
    Watch Thread ;)

12. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I forgot to ask ,
    " We are planning to use the HAM frequency(ies) to send data down from the cubesat to earth "
    What makes you think as a non ham , you can - do that ?
    Oh dang , its been said .

13. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

OT
    When first satellite was put in orbit question of legality of overflying sovereign territory was soon brought up - by lawyers ($) of course.
    Publishing images of such territories when satellites grew up and got smarter could be also debatable.

What makes an average 2 meters HT user think that a (private) satellite TX FREQUENCY is under anybody jurisdiction?
    Or to put the subject in a different / direct perspective - can FCC interfere with launching a private satellite using ANY frequency?
    And I am sorry for OT.

Back to the subject.
    There are HUGE antenna arrays listening to the Universe radio waves.
    As far as I know they have not heard / found single intelligent transmission.

What makes this group think that they can do better?

I am sure there is an advanced intelligent life out there. While drawing parallel with recent years of our similarly highly advanced usage of amateur radio on this planet, there are two possibilities when we intercept their transmissions - repeater kerchinks (sic?) or "59 QSL".

73 Shirley

14. K5FH

K5FH Ham Member QRZ Page

^^^What they said^^^

SETI = Silly Effort To Investigate. - Stanton Friedman

Cubesats are becoming like repeaters were in the 1970s and early 1980s - everybody, it seems, had one because they could.

Why don't you try to get the ARRL interested in this effort? Seems to me they'd love to have their name on it simply for the public relations aspect.

K3XR likes this.
  15. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bingo! Put this in stone.

K3XR likes this.