Price Police Aren't Welcome

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, Oct 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve,

I agree and I should have worded the original posting differently. People are free to ask for prices and make offers on items. We only want to draw the line on commentary. Let's look at the intent of the rule: to discourage using the swapmeet as a discussion forum, and as a result, prohibit general, non-participant conversation on items offered for sale. That's it in a nutshell. I truly had no intent in suppressing prices, or negotiations (although I would never recommend negotiating in public), or general inquiries about an item. Once commentary begins it takes on a life of its own. After the fourth or fifth comment, such as with the Flex radio ad we edited today, it's clear that the listing had become a discussion topic with folks chiming in demonstrating their knowledge of date codes, warranty provisions and what-not. I presume that these comments were meant for the benefit of the general public because the commentators weren't making any offers.

We operated the swapmeet forum for several years with the Reply feature turned off, except for the seller. Even then, the effectiveness of the Forum was great and a lot of gear was changing hands. Users would communicate with each other by email, or perhaps a phone call. Earlier this year I thought that some Reply capability might be appreciated and so I decided to give it a try. So far it's been going well and there have been relatively few threads going south. This should indicate that my mind isn't closed on this and that I'm always open to suggestions. There are a lot of options and I like solutions that don't require a lot of manpower to implement.

As to others that have expressed great disdain for sellers who charge too much and take advantage of others, I am not so sympathetic. People who charge too much get fewer buyers. People who pay too much haven't done their homework. Overpaying for something and later finding it on Google for a lot less it is a great learning experience. Most people avoid letting it happen twice. One of the reasons that we have For Sale listings dating back 10 years is that you can research and consider prices on virtually any make or model radio. This collection is nothing, however, when compared to Google which should be considered routine due diligence before buying anything on the internet.
    73 -fred

W4RAV, KW4EK, N2PQW and 4 others like this.
  2. K9DTC

K9DTC Ham Member QRZ Page

Would not something like a mistake, intentional or not, like a Flex warranty, be better served by contacting the person direct and telling him? And then if the person does not correct it report the post. Let the moderators handle situations like that. The person who is responding to the ad may be completely wrong, again intentional or not, so it should not be a made public for that reason alone.

3. QRZ
    Important Rules
    Have you read the Swapmeet Rules?

This forum enforces a set of buying/selling rules for the benefit of all users. Make sure that you're familiar with the rules before posting or replying in this area. Got questons? Contact our moderation team here...

All Sellers Must Be Verified As of July 1, 2019, only Verified Users are permitted to post in this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.