Price Police Aren't Welcome

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, Oct 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KD1W

KD1W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think this should apply to people's commentary about the seller's pictures, wording, etc. If you don't like it just move on. I saw a couple of guys railing a seller recently for his poor photo. I doubt it was either of them that ended up buying the item.

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

All I can say is buyer beware. Looks like protection for the sellers, and there was lots of reasonable stuff listed with zero comments, so who does this really help?

Oh well. Buyer beware.

Steve
    KV6O

WQ4G likes this.
  3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

WQ4G likes this.
  4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Wow! I'm not allowed to post it there, but Burt has the same voltmeter I do!

KIMG0161.jpg

5. KX4TT

KX4TT Ham Member QRZ Page

Paraphrasing Cheap Trick...................(Dream Police)

The Price Police
    They're on QRZ
    The Price Police
    They'll troll you and me
    The Price Police
    They won't let you be
    Oh Noooooooooooooooo

-)

73 de Lee KX4TT

WQ4G likes this.
  6. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As I view it the selling price is what it is worth to the seller; If I do not like the price I move on, If I do I buy it.

I have some things here I would not sell even for more than I paid for them new because I can no longer get them.
    But then I have other things that I paid a pretty penny for but would let go for cheap because I've gotten my fun out of them.

It truly is up to the buyer to decide

KC9UDX likes this.
  7. KA3YAN

KA3YAN Ham Member QRZ Page

AA7BQ, thank you for stating what should be obvious. AF5CC states that the onus shouldn't be on the buyer to make sure the price is fair??????? Say what???? How about taking some personal responsibility and doing your own research before spending your hard earned money. Geez!

8. ND3U

ND3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I suggest that if you have a comment or have something that is directed to just one person e-mail them. This whole idea of bashing one another publicly is cowardly. If you don't want to face the individual privately then shut up. Some people need to grow up. Others need to mind their damn business.

This day and age if you don't do your research then maybe you should get suckered. If you are able to browse the ads here on QRZ then you can also Google, Yahoo, or Bing the item to get a sense of what the average price is. It's your responsibility as the buyer to do your homework. New ham or not there are plenty of resources out there for you to partake in.

9. K9DTC

K9DTC Ham Member QRZ Page

I know this is a forum type website but I think all communication should be done direct. The serious buyer contacts the person direct for fear of not being the first etc. Unless a seller knows to subscribe to his ad he may never even know someone asked a question. So if a person even asks "is this still available" etc the item can be sold out from under them even if he was the first to see it. If a person is really interested in buying the best way is direct.

10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Bashing? Mind their business? If you offer to sell something, shouldn't you be open to questions on price?

This policy forbids you from posting, "Would you take $175?". This is akin to visiting a hamfest where no discussions on the price are allowed, and any offers must be made on a slip of paper to prevent others from seeing it. This is no better than a classified ad in your local paper, or on Craigslist. Even Ebay affords a public price discussion - the bidding!

I firmly believe this is a step backwards in what used to be a useful and valuable part of QRZ. However, that's just my opinion, and obviously others feel differently. Heck, even questioning the policy is a violation, so there you are. I'd support not allowing posts pointing out that you could buy it new for less (not sure of the harm, but OK), but we can't even make an offer public, must be done privately.

Not sure why people are so bent out of shape on what used to be an open forum/market, but hey, I guess most of them are sellers whom this benefits. I bought a radio on here a few weeks ago where price WAS discussed openly, given the new policy I will doubt I'll be looking here anymore. The openness was an advantage over other places like Ebay.

Lastly, I have tried to buy things privately in the past, only to find out that it was not longer available after being told it I could send the money via paypal. A public record of the transaction would at least show who offered what and when. Advantage, seller. Again.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Steve
    KV6O

W8GMF, KM4NOW, N0YPD and 3 others like this.
  11. QRZ
    Important Rules
    Have you read the Swapmeet Rules?

This forum enforces a set of buying/selling rules for the benefit of all users. Make sure that you're familiar with the rules before posting or replying in this area. Got questons? Contact our moderation team here...

All Sellers Must Be Verified As of July 1, 2019, only Verified Users are permitted to post in this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.