Pretty AM Shack from KB3RHR

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by KA4KOE, May 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K9GAS

K9GAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, but would your XYL allow that in the house! LOL
    My bench looks like that.
    True ham radio ops have one hobby, some have two, one is the XYL
    I need to move my radio room to one of my out buildings.
    I'm in town and I can walk out there in my under wear.

WQ4G likes this.
  2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Craig, I talked to you last night briefly on 7295 but did not connect the dots with this shack photo thread.

I love Clyde's rig. I greatly regret never working Clyde before he went SK. We all need to have some stuff run with clip leads; last count I think I had around 14, maybe 17 in temporary (i.e. permanent) service:

shackplosion1.jpg

WQ4G likes this.
  3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

There is nothing like operating under/next to an ancient forced hot air furnace:eek:

Carl

4. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

My second home had the shack in the same room as the water heater. I had dropped a wall to close this nook off in the garage.

5. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a good one :D No condenser mics in my shack, hi.

Yep, that was the old Lux Aire and it kept me warm for almost 25 years and probably did the same for the folks who lived here before me. But the heat exchanger finally went kaput last winter so the old girl had to be dismantled and pulled out; the cast heat exchanger was the last thing to go. I kept the belt driven blower and AO Smith motor. An American Standard single stage with a RF quiet single speed AC blower is in here now. I guarantee it won't last 50 years like the Lux Aire.

6. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember Steve, WA1QIX in the mid 1970s, operating from his basement shack next to the furnace. The subsonic noise modulated his signal about 30% and it was clearly audible over the air. I don't know how he could stand to operate in that environment; I visited him once at that location, and even though the rumble frequency was too low to actually hear, it made me feel uncomfortable and my ears and head began to ache after a few minutes.

7. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The old furnace did have a big lumbering blower, but it never had an extremely low rumble. The blower sat on rubber mounts inside the box. There was some noise of course but my mics are set up to not pick up any background noise anyway. the new furnace makes noise of a different sort, and I recall last winter that it was a nuisance at times, but I guess I have enough audio power and speakers to drown it out. In the shack photo above you can see three of the cabinets's backs, two are under the CR88 and one is under one of the p.p. 6BQ5 old Heathkit amps. A fourth cabinet is out of sight.

8. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Stevee's rumble wasn't due to the motor or the forced air from the blower, but from the perturbations emanating from the combustion of the gas. I think I have heard the same thing from other stations as well.

9. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's kind of bizarre. Never heard of that happening before.

10. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Oil burners do that, not sure i ever heard a gas furnace rumble, that might be a very BAD sign!