President Reagan's funeral service

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by Guest, Jun 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

The just- concluded 'D.C. portion' of President Reagan's funeral was just completed a short time ago.

A "WELL DONE!" (or for the military guys BRAVO ZULU!) to the family for making it a very dignified, honorable, and most appropriate service.

It was honorable to the nth degree.. respectful, appropriate, and was fully in keeping with the man's character, bearing, and the way he lived his life.

A credit to him, his legacy, and it showed great respect for America, the American people, and the Nation.

From start to finish - like President Reagan himself - A CLASS ACT ALL THE WAY!

R. I. P. Sir!
    Fair winds and following seas, always!

K3FT

Only ONE gripe -- the damn announcers on all three of thenetworks (ABC/NBC/CBS) thatI had to watch just DID NOT KNOW when to shut the hell up!

They had to babble to 'fill time', when the solemnity of the service did NOT need any excess babbling at all. Sigh. I had to 'mute' the TV and listen to C-SPAN on the FM radio so I could watch the video and be spared the babble.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Post script thought..

As I watched the event unfold.. one thing that stuck out in my mind was watching the people who lined the streets as the event took place.

Yes, it was an air of somlemnity and 'gravitas' with a deep appreciation for the mark in history that was being observed.. but underneath it all I sensed a great deal of the 'thread of optimism' that so permeates the American spirit.

Yes, people were/are sad President Reagan is dead BUT they recall how he triggered in their memories the fact that America IS more than just a placeholder for history.

President Reagan reminded us (and them) that America IS a place where the attitude is one of 'tomorrow is going to be better than today!' and 'presentation and public exposure of such unabashed pride in one's heritige, values, and the belief that what we have to offer IS worthy of display and promotion'.

The attitude was one of celebration of the man's life, legacy, deeds, and more importantly the profound changes in the attitudes of Americans ABOUT America and what it is, and can, be.

There will never be another Ronald Reagan.. but there WILL be those who will embrace the same ideals he embraced, make them their own, and stand up to exhibit them and go farther than he did.

The legacy of President Reagan is this..

He showed us that we COULD..
    He showed us that we CAN..
    He showed us that we SHOULD..

K3FT

3. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] you did good k3ft !!

now we shall hear from...the ETERNAL PESSIMISTS some where on this page and the next and the next...they already have one post to be their arrogant thoughtless selves, but they shall come here too to scatter their pessimistic attitudes with very little thought put into them...just watch and see...they can not stay quiet for long. [​IMG]

--- ai4ep ---

4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

Fortunately, my wife and I have cable. Both MSNBC and Fox Cable Network did an excellent job of covering things since the original ceremony at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley, California.

C-SPAN showed the continuous line of those who visited Reagan as he lay in state in the Capitol.

My allergies have been acting up for the past couple of days. At least I can say that since my eyes have been a bit "bleary" at times!

The fact that the weather was fine yesterday, then a misty rain this morning as the procession made its way to the National Cathedral, then was clearing as the casket was carried to Andrews Air Force Base, then was beautiful in California for the burial was a "perfect" Hollywood ending! No one could have planned the weather for a more appropriate happening!

Glen, K9STH

5. N0OV

N0OV Guest

President Reagan was a great man who's contributions to our nation and the world will not soon be forgotten.

He will be missed!

6. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] well. aint seen no pessimist words YET ( they may wait till Saturday ( tomorrow ))...last view showed the CASKET still above the ground....?

Oh well, all is fine. !!

7. KG4WRA

KG4WRA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in total agreement. Reagan was worthy of being honored for his service to his country, and I think they did a good job of that. I was born shortly before he left office, so I know nothing from personal experience, but I've heard nothing but good things from those who were alive while he held office. I have great respect for the man, and I trust that he is in a better place now.

8. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

At the California site, former PM Thatcher of the UK could sing our National Anthem, while the California Governor could not. Sad.

Beautiful sunset...!!

Bill, W0LPQ

9. K6BBC

K6BBC Senior Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I live very close to the Reagan Presidential Library. I was fortunate this evening to be able to bring my son to watch the motorcade as it passed on President Reagan’s final journey. I am sure it is a memory that will live with my son forever. The hillside funeral in Simi Valley was done with grace. It was an appropriate ending for a great man who changed the world.

K6BBC

10. KG4YUV

KG4YUV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a shortie--

W0LPQ,

Would you honestly have wanted to hear Arnold Schwarzenegger sing the national anthem?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.