President Lincoln 2 plus Clarifier (RIT)

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KX2U, Jul 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just repeating what you've heard ?
    Yes , documented thoroughly.
    Children , now really , was all that necessary ? (other than the comment about CW performance)

Now for an impartial remedy to the problem. I'll provide the basics and those that care to follow along at home can or they can ...
    The basic RIT/XIT function split is a hold over from Part 95 certification/acceptance . No front panel TX frequency adjust.
    So what we have is a fixed (internally adjustable) voltage for TX and a front panel controlled RX .
    What this control is , is a potentiometer of 20 to 50K ohms with the top connected to a well regulated voltage source , the bottom connected to ground and the wiper connected to the cathode of a varactor diode. In practice there will be linearizing resistors between the voltage source and the top of the potentiometer and the between the bottom of the potentiometer and ground . Additionally there may be a small signal diode between the wiper output and the varactor cathode.

The fix is to remove TX only voltage from the cathode of the varactor and supply a fixed , regulated , voltage to the top of the potentiometer.
    I recommend a stand alone 8v three terminal positive voltage regulator such as a 78L008 in a TO220 package and source 12 to 14v unregulated from , well , just about anywhere.

This assumes one has a soldering iron , a schematic and the ability to read it, and can tell your clockwise from counter clockwise (resistance wise)

Then the Lincoln II+ comes along. It's all in the software :)
    I've tried about every way known to "brick" this unit and haven't succeeded , yet.
    When it comes to XIT/RIT you're on your own and I don't mind admitting to it .
    I'm definitely analog retentive so most anything contained in the Lincoln II= is smoke and mirrors to me.
    Do keep in mind that the software is very version specific and simply doesn't work on V3 radios and even some later II+ radios.
    It may however be a cure for sobriety.
    https://simonthewizard.com/2016/09/16/president-lincoln-ii-software-manual/
    https://president-electronics.com/cache/documents/product/lincolnii-plus_setup_1.01-138.zip
    https://president-electronics.com/cache/documents/product/lincoln_ii_plus_fr_en_es_pl_v1.02-146.pdf

Good Luck

K5AAL likes this.
  2. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, actually it is a CB. It has a built in 'roger beep' and echo. That makes it a CB (at least in my mind)...

Want to be branded a CBer? Use an echo and roger beep on the ham bands... POOF! You'er now a CBer....

Echo and roger beeps have no place on the ham bands. Those are special effects made just for the Children's Band....

KI4AX

AC0OB, K3XR and N3AB like this.
  3. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ken -
    Sorry, President Electronics states they are CB Radio company.
    The trucker market is their main revenue $$.
    S9 magazine closed in 1990, as CB market collapsed to niche, NA trucking industry market.
    =
    President Electronics is a Taiwanese mfg. of radios for global 11 meter (CB radio) usage.
    https://president-electronics.us/The-sales-network
    They “add” amateur radio to those models (like Lincoln II) with broader frequency coverage,
    the 10 meter amateur radio band.
    ==
    Group PRESIDENT Electronics.
    USA sales office is in Naples, FL
    https://president-electronics.us/

The PRESIDENT name is closely linked to the CB radio world. More than a name, PRESIDENT is representative of the Citizen's Band which unites millions of CB users all over the world : drivers, purists and technology fans.
    https://president-electronics.us/Why-choose-PRESIDENT
    ==
    Cheapham is Lakehurst, NJ is supposedly the dealer for New Jersey.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    N3AB likes this.
  4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not a legal CB obviously. But clearly intended for the scofflaw 11 meter & "freeband" market. Their marketing as "10 -12 meter amateur radio" is disingenuous.

Another clue is that when you purchase one from one of the online CB retailers (no respectable ham radio retailer sells these), you can add an "alignment and peak" and "extra frequencies".

On the other hand, it is fairly common for new Technicians to buy this junk as a cheap way to get on the air, who otherwise might not. In my mind that is forgivable, as long as they are not splattering too badly.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if they're still bringing out new president models. If they are then we'll soon be seeing the most incredible powerful radio even built. XIT will be essential since the transmitter will probably have a tendency to drift and become unintelligible.

6. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

While the response might not have made the day , the fact is that the President series has been a gray market rig for many a year with emphasis on CB and freebanders, Lots of these were sold by every cb dealer worth their name. Copper Electronics used to modify them in Louisville Kentucky while you waited ..so there you go.
    Right now it's a dirt cheap 10 meter rig to those that can't afford an actual FCC Type accepted ham rig. However at the cost of a TS120 or a Yaesu FT747GX you could probably buy a better radio and one that meets the requirements of the FCC.
    Just don't use it around my QTH , I don't want to hear 20 kHz of signal.

7. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

148gtl.png ts830.png

One of these slug trails is a Kenwood TS-830S . The other a Cobra (Uniden) 148-GTL (PC-442 for those that care) .

A couple of hints. The TS-830 has a bit of processing in. The 148-GTL has it's AMC and ALC intact and is approaching 1db compression .

I attempted the same average power average output. Obviously not a lab quality comparison but I did make the attempt.

Anecdotal:
    I have converted many SSB "CB" (dare I say it) to 10m use for entry level amateurs. I have found very few that just wouldn't make it for purely signal quality reasons. The original HR2510, The PC-442 148-GTL and all it's clones, and too many others to mention. I have had a bit of a tussle with a few "Galaxy" radios and and their clones. Simply put the filters and carrier suppression are on par with acceptable signals as long as the AMC and ALC have not been disabled.
    I've had the unhappy occasion to appear on a 10m net and declare my "rig" as a converted "CB" and get derided, vilified, burned at the stake, and, my ancestors compared to primordial slime. I reappear days or weeks later to go through this once more without identifying my rig only to have my TS-830S get derided, vilified, burned at the stake, and, my ancestors compared to primordial slime.

I've been doing this for 50 years in military, marine, broadcast, land mobile, and now amateur radio. A signal is a signal. A crap signal is a crap signal. The signal coming from a converted "CB" or "Export" radio is only as good as the filters and the state of tune. The same can be said for any amateur radio. I have been surprised by the consistent quality of the Uniden filters (especially the 7.8MHz) for many years. It wasn't until I got a chance to run a few of these radios past a quality service monitor or spectrum analyzer that I found just how capable these radios were. I won't speak to the receive side of things here as most of their ill's and sins are well known. Let's just say most of the receivers are far too sensitive and not nearly selective enough.

Lumping all "CB" conversions and "Export" radios into the "20 kHz of signal" bucket is ridiculous, obtuse, and frankly ignorant. @KC3SWL Really , no personal offense intended. I just get tired of subjective bias in the face of objective knowledge.

For those of you that don't yet believe and have the equipment to test one of these radios, please do. For those of you that don't have the equipment or a clue, please quit repeating what you hear as gospel . This is the art science and enjoyment of radio after all .

*for those that are curious or give a rat's azz , the bass response of the TS-830S is an accident of my voice and the MC-50 . The mic used on the 148-GTL was the stock "coffin" mic . The 148-GTL was adjusted so that even with the ludicrous "dynamic" turned all the way to 11 AMC was no more than %100 and ALC was just short of obvious distortion.

*I'm not more than 15 miles from the WA6OUR sdr.
    Thanks for listening ...

K5AAL likes this.
  8. KC3SWL

I can just state , I've heard them take up a lot of bandwidth...export import, it doesn't matter the rigs aren't meant to be used as an actual ham rig, they only have those frequencies to be able to sell to other markets. The 2510 and the other actual ham 10 meter rigs had better quality than the Presidents Galaxies and other assorted gray market rigs built .However, if you choose to use them ,that's your choice. It certainly isn't mine.

9. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

SWL:

There are NO FCC "Type Accepted" amateur radio transmitters. The only transmitting equipment that has to be certified are those commercially manufactured external r.f. amplifiers capable of operation below 144.0 MHz. Commercially manufactured receivers capable of operating between 30.0 MHz and 960 MHz have to have 47 CFR Part 15 certification which is not all that much more than a "rubber stamp" on manufacturers' testing / specifications.

It is the responsibility of the individual amateur radio operator to insure that their transmitter meets the technical requirements contained in 47 CFR Part 97. According to present FCC regulations, the manufacturer has absolutely no requirements for making sure that these specifications are met where transmitters are concerned. For external r.f. amplifiers capable of operating below 144.0 MHz there is a requirement. But, for transmitters, no such requirements. Most manufacturers do make sure that their transmitters do meet the requirements. However, legally, they have absolutely no responsibility for such.

As for the signal quality of transceivers such as the Uniden HR-2510, most of the time bad signals are the result of the "golden screwdriver" being applied to the unit in an attempt to get more power output, etc. At least for the 2-each HR-2510 units that I have, the signal, on a spectrum analyzer, is as clean as my Kenwood TS-830S and slightly cleaner than my Kenwood TS-440SAT. Not quite as clean as my Heath SB-Line equipment or any of my Collins S-Line equipment.

I acquired my first HR-2510 directly from Uniden. At the time, I was authorizing the purchase of Uniden commercial FM two-way units in 50 and 100 quantities. The Uniden America corporate headquarters was at the south end of the Dallas / For Worth Airport and I got one of the Uniden vice-presidents to obtain the unit for me. I had actually wanted one of the HR-2600 units because of the FM repeater "split" being available. However, the Uniden engineering department refused to sell me one of the HR-2600 radios. They said that the receiver was severely lacking and that I would not be pleased with having one. So, I got the HR-2510 at what the vice-president would have to pay for one and that was fairly cheap.

My 2nd HR-2510 I got for the cost of mailing it to me. It had been "golden screwdrivered" by some CBer trying to get more power out of it and was not working. Fortunately, a complete realignment got the unit working again. I use that radio as the i.f. for my 432 MHz transverter. I use the other unit either mobile on 10-meters (I have well over 100-countries worked using a 3 dB "down" Larsen NMO-27, 27 MHz to 30 MHz antenna). Occasionally, I use this HR-2510 as the i.f. for my Hallicrafters HA-6 (6-meter), Hallicrafters HA-2 (2-meter), or my modified Hallicrafters HA-2 for 222 MHz.

Glen, K9STH

K5AAL and AF7XT like this.
  10. KC3SWL

Well that's the type of radio I am referring to, not the so called export models by who knows who Connex Cobra Max something Texas Star Galaxy and so forth. I meant to say the part 97 I just get them confused. Anyways, a HTX10 or HTX100 or HR2600 or HR2510 will run rings around a export rig.
    So now that this topic has been beat to death let's find another .