ad: ProAudio-1

Presenting the new Icom-705

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Sep 1, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W8BYH

W8BYH Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a look at the CommRadio CTX-10

2. KN4RA

KN4RA Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood needs to do something like this with their TS-480. Have a QRP "strap on" for the head unit.

3. W8BYH

W8BYH Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as I can tell, there's no clear word yet on a sound card interface. But considering every HF rig Icom has released since the 7100 has had a built-in sound card I have to think (hope?) that the 705 has one.

I think we can all forget about IP ratings for ruggedness and water resistance. Maybe a basic IPX5, so you can sneeze on it lightly without worrying about burning something out. As others here have commented, the 'big three' (along with Elecraft) just don't get it when it comes to designing rugged, water resistant units. While I applaud Icom for this effort, I would have much rather they chucked the UHF/VHF and DSTAR side and just built a ruggedized, portable SDR HF rig capable of 20 watts.

KK4HPY, K7UQ/SK2022 and N0YPD like this.
  4. AA0KM

AA0KM Ham Member QRZ Page

$1500 adding back pack and solar panel and bigger battery.
    Let me know next year when it comes out.

5. AA4MB

AA4MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Icom is market driven, like any company wanting to turn a profit. I would imagine their list price - I'd bet under $1,000 - coupled with the 'street' price being a decent amount below that shortly after they intro, will make this sell like hotcakes. No, it's not going to completely satisfy a good 50% of the serious QRP/field operators probably - but the folks that it will satisfy will be in numbers enough that it may just be another IC-7300ish success for Icom. I'd imagine (hope?) that if Icom is putting any thought at all into it, they'll be able to blank the touch screen out with the press of a button, driving the receive current consumption down to fairly acceptable levels for many, many operators. It looks like to me that they are counting on the ease of transition factor with their existing IC HF transceiver line's touchscreens to woo a great many folks. Elecraft did the same thing with the KX2/3 models, making the user interface so much like the K3 that having to continually refer to the manual just isn't as necessary as a totally new rig. Yeah, I'd like rugged, too and I hope that Icom jumps into that market as well. If they do, the hardest thing to do will be to continue to supply them with enough bats to continue knocking the balls out of the park ...

K7GYB and K0UO like this.
  6. BI8EJM

BI8EJM Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KD2LFG

KD2LFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Totally agree on the lack of power output. Why would ICOM create such a full featured rig and then limit the power to 10 watts? If this would put out say 30-50 watts, I would buy it tomorrow.

KK4HPY likes this.
  8. EI3IBB

EI3IBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep same here, I won't part with my FT-891, it has a very useful scope which is all you need when out in the field, I don't need an energy sapping screen !

I'd rather 100 Watts too, the FT-891 is a great radio and really small, incredible. Can bring along a 10 Ah Lithium pack or a 12 V car battery like I do for 5-100 watts.

I love QRP but with the short time I have to operate when I get out I want to make contacts and not have to shout at someone 20 times. It's great to have the power when you need it.

It's a shame Icom didn't include internal 12 v 8 Ah battery , that could provide several hrs of use. 7.2 volts 2 Ah is quite pathetic in this day and age, it will make someone want to bring along a battery anyway so why not the FT-891 then ?

I think Yaesu got the FT-891 spot on, would be nice with an internal battery but it's not a big issue really, the 100 Watts is the main thing.

I even bet the FT-891 is smaller.

The 705 is a nice looking radio and would make a nice armchair SWL radio, but Man, I bet this is going to cost about 1200 Euro's here is rip off Europe !

I don't care about an antenna tuner either, I use the wonderful Super Antenna MP1 and Hyendcompany.nl 4 band end fed. All resonant, no tuner needed.

N4KRX and AK5B like this.
  9. IK0TIX

IK0TIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

at the moment I see two things that don't convince me:
    - dimensions: it's larger than a Kx2, Kx3 or a simple XIEGU X5105
    - it does not have the ATU.

N4KRX likes this.
  10. KJ4PBW

KJ4PBW Ham Member QRZ Page

No. Tuner. Argh.

looks like NOAA VHF weather is too much to ask too.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  11. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why the pain? A simple(and small) little manual QRP tuner is all you need.

K4AGO likes this.
  12. KJ4PBW

KJ4PBW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dreaming. I bet its north of 1500 to open. they're going after elecraft.

13. KD2IYI

KD2IYI Ham Member QRZ Page

Browser history is ordinarily a function of the browser, not the search engine. And in this regard, anyone with access to your computer can access your search history by default.

DuckDuckGo explicitly states on their home page that they don't store your search history.

AK5B and N6MST like this.
  14. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

How is this still a thing people even say anymore? If you don't want to do it, then simply move along folks.

KK4HPY, K4AGO and AG5DB like this.
  15. NX1Q

NX1Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That price point would be more than what you could ask for ! I think they know that. Icom seems to be sipping less Sake than the guys at Yaesu, so I'm thinking $799.