ad: CQMM-1

Presenting the new Icom-705

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Sep 1, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that is a neat radio! I am saving my pennies, hope to get that one when it comes out...The SDR, will continue to advance, along with the digital modes..These will continue to work the magic! Wait unit the sun sot cycle comes back to any degree! Great times to be a Ham operator!

NZ5F likes this.
  2. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Just installed the BRAVE browser, at the moment I think I still prefer Opera as my main browser

3. NJ0F

NJ0F Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No antenna tuner???

4. W6UXB

It has a tuner connection out as well as a send/alc connection but no ptt out to trigger an amplifier as I can see.

5. SV4NLA

SV4NLA Ham Member QRZ Page

6. K7JBL

K7JBL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If the 9700 was supposed to be the 9100 replacement they left out HF and 90 watts.

7. NX1Q

NX1Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ft-818 is looking awfully lonely right about now.

VA7UO and AJ6MA like this.
  8. W5JDX

W5JDX Ham Member QRZ Page

It is my understanding the radio is still in development. Some things could still change by release time.

9. W6UXB

Another out of the ball park game changer from Icom, I bet it's about $699.95 though, I like the back pack as well

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    VA7UO and AD8BM like this.
  10. W6UXB

As noted it has send/alc output but no ptt output, seems they might also have in the works a companion amplifier, that would be great!

AD8BM likes this.
  11. KM4CQG

KM4CQG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Will have to see how it compares to a KX3 receiver.
    Gigi Parts as a list to get in line and Pre Order n money needed.

12. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good. Looks like a nice enough portable but I just don’t think that Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu or Elecraft get it when designing field gear. What we really need is a more rugged HF/VHF/UHF radio – and I mean military type ruggedness in a class such as that of the Harris Falcon III, Barrett, or Codan radios. And not so many big knobs sticking out – they tend to break easily. Also not so many jacks/wires poking out of the sides. Its too messy and won’t easily fit into a case with stuff plugged in. And a true field radio will have universal power input – it will operate from internal batteries, or accept an input from 10-30vdc, or 110/220vac. All in one box. With today’s power supply technology it can be done fairly easily and keep weight reasonable too. Lastly, dump the touch screens. While okay on your tablet or smart phone, they are a real pain and a big mistake magnet on a field radio. The US Navy just dumped all of its touch screen navigation controls on its destroyers in favor of proven mechanical systems for the same reason. Such a radio would likely cost about the same as a tricked out KX-3 but would be much more value for dollar.

So the ham radio which still comes closer to these goals in this class is the good old Yaesu FT-817/818.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    NK9Y, K7GYB, N1UFO and 4 others like this.
  13. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the cute chick come wid da radio? :p:cool::D;)

AD8BM likes this.
  14. EA2EKH

EA2EKH Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting, so it has GPS capability. Now if only they added a PPS output or, even better, a NTP server, it would be the ideal rig for portable digital operation.

15. EA2EKH

EA2EKH Ham Member QRZ Page

I forgot. It has GPS. If they added a PPS output and even a NTP server (it has Ethernet as well) it would be the absolute killer WSJT/FT field rig.