Prejudices against keyboard CW?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by AB2T, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

I have bad fine motor, especially in the hands. I can send with paddles for a few contacts, and then my sending hand locks. I've tried using a hand brace, but it's rather awkward to use. A keyboard is much easier on my hands. Also, I can send above 18 to 20 wpm with the keyboard.

I've heard that some CW operators refuse to work stations that send CW by keyboard. I use the wet gray noodles between my ears to decode CW. Computer decoders are just bunk that send out ascii garbage. Besides, I've very little experience with them. I trust my ears much better. However, lots of hams are convinced that computerized signal is the sign of a dishonest operator who is using a decoder. That's a one way ticket to lid-dom.

Is it true that I will be avoided because my fist is "too perfect"? I love having a new key, but I just can't get above 20 wpm with the paddles. I'd rather keep the glass wrist in check.

I love CW. I wouldn't want to give it up simply because other ops would consider me a lid.

73, Jordan

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you type well and send good code, how in the world could anyone possibly know you're using a keyboard?

When I send with a keyer and paddles, many (many!) ops have said, "Nice keyboard code," and I don't use a keyboard. Just well sent code. Who cares?

3. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

Very right. Why should I care? Insecurity is no excuse to not try something.

It's great that you can send code so well that people think you are using a keyboard! The biggest problem for me is that as my hand and wrist tire, it's hard for me to control the dits well. This is why I prefer to use the keyboard.

As you might guess with the hand/wrist problem, you won't find me on SKN. I'm usually asleep before the ball drop, anyway.

73, Jordan

4. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Who cares what others think.
    I gave up on them LONG ago.

Pound those keys and enjoy !

5. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

No, you are fine. In my teenage years, I used to think less of the keyboard ops that sent at high speed, ie 50-70WPM which is very hard to do with keyer and I somehow felt a keyboard was cheating.....oh the silly teenage years! Like Steve, in my teenage years I could send very fast with keyer and most thought I was on keyboard.

6. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would think it would be a RELIEF to copy near perfect code!!
    Use the keyboard if you want to!:)
    Chances are no one would figure it out until they are well into the conversation anyway.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The only way I can tell someone (who can type well) is on a KB is if they can't send the prosigns properly, e.g., AR, SK etc. siince those characters run together with no spacing.

Otherwise, it should be pretty impossible to tell. Don't sweat the small stuff, CW is the master mode and I use it every day. Couldn't care less what somebody sends with, if I can copy it.

8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Who cares what idiots think? Do whatever it takes to get on the air!!!

73, Bill

9. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Steve is right about prosigns.

The other tip off usually is the use of real, spelled out words which are normally abbreviated when using a paddle, bug or straight key.

And please, don't get me started on macros.

That said, if someone refuses to work you because of the equipment you're using, their loss.

Bill

10. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

The late Katashi Nose KH6IJ, switched to a keyboard after having a stroke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.