ad: wmr-1

"Pre Nets"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2TXB, Jul 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My argument (actually nice conversation) w0uld be NEITHER the rag chewer on the freq of a net nor the Net have any "right" to the frequency. Nothing in the regs about "he/she who gets there first as a right." So neither have rights to a freq. So if that is a stalemate would think would go to the most efficient use part that would be more controlling.

So if no one owns it seems just more ethical for rag chewer to be nicely informed a regularly scheduled net will soon start and would be mind moving. The most ethical ham I would think to want to accommodate is a long-established net with lots of hams vs his demand of the non-legal first use argument. Again that is why pre-net stuff babble by net folks is useful to avoid someone new using the freq. Most of my experience is on the HHH net and usually pre net is not constant chatter but every few minutes A NC asking for precheckins just to keep some activity going so someone doesn't start a long QSO just before net time.

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That justifies pre-pre-checkins and pre-pre-pre checkins too :)

3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

That could be a tough one for an NCS to police. But I wouldn’t want to handcuff anyone.

Besides, whom am I to judge?

4. KA8MNP

KA8MNP Ham Member QRZ Page

I read this entire thread with great interest. Why ? Because for many years I would never be involved with a net. I thought they were funny and a waste of time. Then I became involved in one and started to enjoy the camaraderie. I check in just about every morning in fact I am listening to the Early Bird Transconinental Net (EBTN) right now.

The EBTN began as a traffic net in 1949 not many people had phones then and telefraph stations were not always accesible, but just about everyone knew a "ham" and knew that if asked they would be glad to try and get a message through to a loved etc. In 1975 the need for traffic handling by amateur operators had diminished and the EBTN became a social net. A gathering place for any General class or higher operator to meet and exchange pleasanntries. Why General Class or higher ? Well, you need that class of license to operate on 3.940 but we do welcome SWLs and comments or questions via Email or QSL requests. I have QSLed with several SWLs.

Why did I finally get involved with a net ? Because many times I would call CQ over and over and never get a response. I'd look for someone calling CQ and never hear anyone. Or I would hear a group talking on a frequency enjoying each others company. Same group, same time, and same frequency every day. Not a net but just guys talking. Sometimes very quick on the key so it would be difficult to get in with them. Nothing wrong with that at all. If you do get in you can tell that although they say you are welcome and they mean it, they are so used to what is sometimes years of talking with each other that it is hard to become part of that group. And I've actually been asked sometimes politely and sometimes not so politely to move so that this group could talk with each other. I always move. A few times I've had an operator come in and say something like “OM, there are a few of us who gather on this frequency every day at this time do you mind if we join in with you, I think you'll like these guys.” Of course I always agree to that request. Again these are not nets just informal groups.

I started hearing nets in a different way, some are very structured and have a purpose. Emergncies and priorty communication take precendence over everything and should. I have absolutely no problem with someone taking a particular frequency for that.

Other nets, for example the EBTN are far less formal and if you're gathering just to chit chat or help each other get new states or countries that's great but just don't take your self seriously, if it's not fun don't do it. If you're a net control opoerator don't ever break into a QSO and ask for the frequency or gently remind someone of an upcoming net. Find a nearby frequency far enough away so as not to interfere and do the net there. A few kcs up or down shouldn't matter. Let your members know that your net meets on or about a certain frequency. That way they know where to look.

As to why there is a pre net that is an excellent question. Why not just start the net ? I can't speak for other nets but this much I do know. A lot of the guys who check into the EBTN myself included look forward to getting on the air and talking with each other. A lot of that goes on before the pre net even starts and is the best part. Lots of fun. About a half an more or less before the start of the EBTN the net control station starts to take check ins. This is just so everyone gets a chance. Everyone is given a number and is called up in turn. There is no time limit on anyone's comments and net controllers are encouraged to keep their own comments as short as possible. Some guys and gals have to leave early for work etc. so the lower number they get the quicker they get on. We don't have an early on or short time option but in rare cases we try to make allowances to make sure that everyone that wants a chance gets one.

Come join us at 4:45 AM Eastern time on or about 3940 khz.

73 Randall - KA8MNP www.earlybirdnet.com

W4NNF likes this.
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

03:45 local is a bit early for me to be up, but on sleepless mornings I often listen to y'all with my little bedside receiver. It always sounds like y'all are having a good time and I always enjoy reading the mail. :)

6. KA8MNP

KA8MNP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks drop by any time.