ad: MyersEng-1

"Pre Nets"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2TXB, Jul 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You have to ask permission to make a call or comment from the ring leader who is usually rambling on for 45 minutes about his appendicitis attack of 45 years ago. They do not have a problem hijacking the frequency from the occupants but it instantly turning into their frequency they have had for 230 years. "This is Rich chicken in, may I speak please 10-4?" 73 Rich

2. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have not been on that net. But the nets I am talking about are not designed for ragchewing but working different folks for WAS, DXCC, etc. They may last for a few years and go around with each person making a short contact with whoever they want etc. Lots of hams enjoy seeing who they can work much like working DX contests etc. I just do it casually to see where the strongest signals are from and I can use 20 different remote stations around the US, Haiti and KP4 land.

Back in the 60s/70s I was far more interested, had walls fall of awards, worked 2800 of the 3077 US counties, etc before going off the air for 40 years. Also, enjoy quick-type exchanges with pota folks as well as working DX. Nets are not for everyone and its a small part of my total activities. But zillions of folks enjoy it and was reacting mostly to the negative tone of the post about how terrible nets are.

I support but do not choose to use FT8, as it's nothing but computers, not hams talking to each other. Although it is interesting to find band openings. Often I find lots of FT8 activity maybe on 6m or 10m but no signals in the SSB portion which is all I operate.

However, I respect FT8, etc as part of hamming and do not attack them as the post seemed to be about nets that are efficiently using the frequency with lots of folks vs individual contacts. Nets have published times and frequencies and it's hard to find them if they move from their usually decades established time and place. They do own the frequency but it's a practical use of ham band space.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  3. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

The concept of a "pre-net" always struck me oddly, as well. To "hold" the frequency is bogus, because nets have no special claim on a frequency by their status as a net. Once I was in an extended QSO one evening when a belligerent "control" station chimed in, without identifying, saying we were on a "net frequency" and when would we be done. Uh, right? So I kept my cool and invited him and his fellows to join OUR conversation, already in progress. Of course, no such thing could happen. We then were treated to a series of coughing fits, tuning-ups, and other assorted interference.

Nice bunch. I later figured out who they were. No one I wanted to associate with, so it worked out well.

N3AWS, W9RAC and (deleted member) like this.
  4. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

See Paul you just don't get it. We are just dirt bag regular users. We really have no purpose like a net does for example so I believe it is appropriate for them to run us off the frequency to make room for a meaningful use of it. Maybe at some point we can be re-educated and allowed to join in. Hoping to join, Rich

WA3VJB likes this.
  5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Rich? Station named Rich? Priority traffic! BING-BING-BING all dirtbag stations standing by!
    ;)

6. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

I appreciate the spirit of your comment, and it is factually correct---40 guys and gals talking on a single 2.7kHz wide air-space is "more efficient"
    than 40 guys and gals spreading the news about their colonoscopy preparation progress all across the 40m phone band. But you chose to bold-print
    and underline for emphasis a single sentence in the regulation, not present in the Federal code, and conveniently ignored the next statement:
    "No frequency will be assigned for the exclusive use of any station."
    Quoting a law or regulation selectively and without full-context diminishes the legitimacy of your argument and gives people crazy ideas.

I always cooperate, because that is the right thing to do. But I would be just as correct in taking the position, "Hello OM, I'm talking to a friend of mine. Could you kindly move your net 3kHz up-or-down, so as to not interfere with communications in progress, as required by 47 CFR 97.101 (d).
    Thanks, and 73."

As I said in my earlier message, what I have to say on the air is almost always as valueless to the world as what the net members have to share. Unless we're talking about an organ donation on its way, countermanding a NORAD scramble order to the bombers, or an E-Bay sale on IC -7300s,
    the net folks can move or I can move. Let's just all be polite so none of us needs to quote Federal regulations.

N3AWS likes this.
  7. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe next week, we can discuss "returning the frequency to normal amateur use". o_O

K5ABB, K8XG, N4DJT and 2 others like this.
  8. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am going to start a FT-8 net.

W2TXB, KP4SX and WA1GXC like this.
  9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like a good idea to me.

That is better than thinking that you own the frequency as net control and can start a net even if the frequency is in use.

It is all about respect for others.

If you transmit for 5-10 minutes you are a frequency hog. Big old Ham.

10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And yet, the band around the 'hog" is probably empty... ;)

[​IMG]