"Pre Nets"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2TXB, Jul 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Been hearing a number of hf nets lately that included and began with what was called a "pre net". These usually occur 15-30 minutes prior to the net's more commonly known start time.

While I am thinking the purpose may be to "hold the frequency for the net", I wonder if the other and better reason is to bring in some check-ins who want to have an earlier turn at transmitting to the group without having to wait for a potentially large number of others who commonly transmit for 5-10 minutes each.

Either way, why not just publicize and shift the start time to the time of the "pre net" and just call it the "_______ Net".

Also, if there is a "pre net", why is there not a "post net" after the net? Maybe by then everybody would be too tired, and the net result would be counterproductive.

K1OIK likes this.
  2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I am more into tomato nets myself.

N1XDS, K4PIH, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.
  3. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to use wide material for your net or it just slices through the tomatoes leaving you with a big mess.

KA4DPO and VK4HAT like this.
  4. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you pretty much hit on both reasons. I'm not much of a net person anymore, but in the past we had a pre-net or "early bird net" which helped keep the frequency busy and also allowed for pre-check-ins which expedited the building of the list after the preamble. When I stopped being a NCS station around 2011, Netlogger was really beginning to take off, and helped out immensely. I assume it's even more widely used nowadays.

K1OIK and AD5HR like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the "no net nets."

"Those who never participate in nets and never would, please check in now.":)

KY4GD, KN6KDT, K9KQX and 3 others like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The "post net" is when all the real fun begins.... ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

KY4GD, NL7W, KA4DPO and 6 others like this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd have to make a reminder about that on a Post-It paper.

Found out they can stick to stuff more than once. Also, the light in the refrigerator goes off when you close the door.

Still learning.

8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The alcohol is taking effect.

W1BR, KA4DPO and N3AWS like this.
  9. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll take fishnets.
    Mike N3PM

WS4JM likes this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

THAT must be it :D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AWS likes this.