Pre 1987 Tech Grandfathered for General Class???

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by W4WAG, Jun 3, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4WAG

W4WAG Ham Member QRZ Page

In the process of looking up places to practice for the General Class upgrade test. I came across info that if you were licensed as a Tech prior to 1987 you would be grandfathered for the General Class.

My original call sign was KB2ISD, I don't have my original license to see when it was issued and I haven't had any luck fining this infor online. I've even looked at old call books that are online with no luck.

I changed my call sign in 1989 to N2KDR, that info I have found online. The only reference to the KB2ISD is that it was my previous call sign.

My question is. Does anyone know where to find what date my original call sign was issued to me?

2. AC2EV

AC2EV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This just came up at our May 28th session. Lucky for us the AWA (http://www.antiquewireless.org/) is only a short drive away. They have amassed a large collection of callbooks. You can try contacting them and they might be able to help you out.

There's this: http://www.qrz.com/page/pre1987.html which you've probably already seen

I seem to remember there was a guy in Hawaii that would look it up in his collection of callbooks for a small fee, but that information eludes me.

3. W4WAG

Yes thanks I've already checked the QRZ Pre 1987 link. Only the Callsign I switched to at the time N2KDR showed up. It shows my prior Callsign was KB2ISD, but when I look it up on its own nothing comes up.

4. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you took a 50-question Technician/General written test before March 21, 1987, then you can claim credit.

There is no KB2ISD in the 1987 Winter Callbook; they do list calls starting with KB2B so I'm guessing that you were licensed sometime in 1987. I can't find a 1988 Callbook.

Anyway, the general test isn't that difficult. Study for a while, take practice exams here on the Zed and you should be golden. Good luck.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Certainly, he can claim credit, but he has to prove he took the proper written exam before the "magic" date in 1987. If he is listed in the 1986 Callbook, then a photocopy of the callbook page may be sufficient proof for many VE's. I don't think the OP mentioned whether he let his license lapse, or at least kept it renewed.

6. W4WAG

Thanks for the replies, I was originally licensed right around 1987. I believe I took my Novice and Tech Plus exam on the same night. And NO I've never let any of my Callsigns lapse.

7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The magic date is March 21, 1987. That's the day the written test changed.

73 de Jim, N2EY

8. WA9SVD

9. WA9SVD

OK, so my point is that if his previous call appears in a Call Book prior to release 21 March 1987, he MAY qualify for the "grand father" clause. I'm not sure how the "previously licensed" and other conditions apply; obviously, if he at least kept the license updated to current status, then all an individual has to do is apply with the VEC for an automatic upgrade. I'm not quite sure how the "expired {beyond the 2 year squeak by credit} " license gets credit. For various reasons, I'm not currently a VE, so I don't have the fine minutiae about the upgrade processes and what credits are applicable.

10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's how it works:

Any Technician who holds a current, unexpired Technician class license, and who can show that they passed the "old" Technician written before March 21, 1987 can get a no test upgrade to General. Lapses in licensing do not matter.

The upgrade is handled at any regular VE test session.

Edited to add:

Note that the Callbook did not show license class until 1967.