Prank Calls/Prank Hams

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9HLC, Apr 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

Gotta be more than 5 that have made contact with Ignacio still hanging around......

KP4SX likes this.
  2. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

The closest I've ever come to a prank call was when I was in college. I worked at Radio Shack, and one of the local old timers came in to buy a cable for his computer. This was about 1980 or so, and I was at first a bit surprised that this old timer had a computer hooked up to his radio for whatever reason.

The only reason I could think of at the time involved contesting. I thought maybe he was using the computer to generate CW, which I thought was pretty progressive for this old timer. So I innocently asked him, "so, you must be a contester!"

Up until that point, he had seemed friendly enough, but he looked at me with a look of rage and said, "hell no!" I quickly dropped the subject.

Some time later, I happened to hear him on 2 meter FM when I was with some friends. I related the story, and during a lull in the conversation between him and another old timer, one of us jumped on frequency and called, as fast as humanly possible, "CQ Contest." The other one jumped in and in an equally frantic voice, shouted "59."

Of course, we ID'ed, and there had been such a long lull in his QSO that we didn't interfere.

He came back to the other old timer and just muttered, "Oh, my God."

W3MMM and KP4SX like this.
  3. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

5BWAS

4. KD8DEY

They usually only work around the vicinity of 27.185
    (Or Truck stops)
    Ymmv

5. KD8DEY

Back in the 11m Daze there were DX clubs that shot skip on legit channels om SSB that identified with "Prince Albert" numbers.
    Back then, by "Gentilemans agreement" sideband was only operated on Ch 16, and from channels 34-40....

6. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I asked on 7185 about Eustachian Tubes and the ex-CBer said at his station they were all 3-500s. He asked me, “what you running at you station?”

7. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Breaker 16 Breaker 16 for the Fish Monster
    Skipper, you need your radio fixed
    What is wrong with my radio good buddy?
    Your CB is broken and transmitting on 156.8 MHz FM. You need that fixed right now!

8. K8PG

K8PG Subscriber QRZ Page

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

"Noobies" just don't understand those calls: 5U4GB, OA2, 5Y3GT, etc. (No disrespect meant.)

10. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Another one was 1B3GT

Popular prank calls from kids in the 30s, 40s and 50s, pretty much harmless:

The phone rings at a small town grocery store. The voice on the other end asks, "Do you keep Prince Albert in cans?" When the clerk answers yes, the caller warns, "you better let him out before he smothers to death".

Another, "Is your clock running?" "Yes." "You better go catch it, then."

Later, prank calls, usually from teen-agers, became more nefarious. Bomb threat to school the morning before a big exam, for example. The advent of caller ID pretty much brought prank calls by kids to an end.