ad: CQMM-1

Practical 2M/70cm EDC Bag

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM4ACK, Oct 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KM4ACK

KM4ACK Ham Member QRZ Page

K2OL, KW4WL, W1YW and 12 others like this.
  2. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

NICE video. The speaker is organized and prepared, perhaps even rehearsed, and ready to go right out of the chute. The presentation is direct and to the point. I judged high school and college forensics (competitive public speaking) in a former life, and award high marks to KM4ACK for knowing how to prepare and present his case. Kudos, OM. - K8JHR -

WL4T likes this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I watched approximately the first 1/3 of the video and there was no mention of what "EDC" means. A quick Internet search answered my question: every day carry. Guess it's a prepper/whacker thing, judging by the websites that showed up in the search.

K3XR, NU4R, W5TTW and 3 others like this.
  4. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

If you had searched the Internet about 10 seconds more you'd find the EDC community is often made up of active and retired Military, Police, Fire Fighters and EMTs. Prepper/whacker?

K6RWM, KK6ZLY, K4HNH and 3 others like this.
  5. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I have a radio in the car. I keep it set to the classic rock station.

K6RWM, NX6ED and K2NCC like this.
  6. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to America, where the biggest threat to Americans is ... other Americans.

G1UFM, W2TH, K8JHR and 4 others like this.
  7. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to humanity. Been that way since the beginning. Sadly, there's always a need to level the playing field.

Sure glad I wasn't born anywhere else. Like Syria, Iran, N.Korea, Sudan, Congo, anywhere that ends in "stan", ad nauseum.

N4OKN, K0WJ, W7ASA and 6 others like this.
  8. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

My "go bag" is my wife. She is "2m" from the rear. Her mouth is 70cm.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    K0WJ, KA2FIR and VE3TLT like this.
  9. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the bag... but being a photographer I've always found my handheld ham gear better protected by photo bags which protect my sensitive cameras. Plus I like individual padded compartments and the ability to customize the bag to my equipment.

As far as the contents, some good ideas in the video. But it comes down to what you use every day or what your served agency needs.

K8JHR and K2NCC like this.
  10. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Dry as a popcorn fart if you ask me.

11. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, it would be a pity to miss a single minute of exciting repeater action!

[​IMG]

AMATEURS ARE GO!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    NL7W and WN1MB like this.
  12. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah, those guys are too cool for ham radio.

Perhaps a better comparison...
    StatlerWaldorf.JPG.jpg

G1UFM, NL7W and WB8SIW like this.
  13. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone said: "Dry as a popcorn fart if you ask me."

I agree! Not the most exciting topic, and yet I doubt anyone (even world famous Gordo) could make this topic exciting. But, a lot of guys are interested in this sort of thing. (Personally, I figure what another op keeps in his bag is a private affair.) ;-)

Yet, kudos to the videographer for coming mercifully to the point and PRESENTING his case "case" well. [yep, pun intended] He is organized, avoiding unnecessary repetition, with decent audio and lighting. . I doubt he uses expensive, exotic studio equipment; using what he has with an eye and ear to the viewer's perspective.

Just the facts Ma'am.

In contrast, too many other ham radio videos, would benefit from advance scripting, a second or even third take to correct mistakes or just improve presentation, and ruthless final editing to remove excess baggage. For example, I recall a "Ham University" episode where the presenters took more than 9 minutes to broach the day's lesson, only to declare they had forgotten what it was! Eventually, they remembered after the 13 minute mark, thereafter consuming more than twenty minutes to give a 5 minute lecture about just two license exam questions. It was painfully slow, boring, and unprofessional. It appears many ham radio videographers have forgotten the First Rule of Public Speaking: The speaker has an ethical obligation to say something worthwhile and respect the auditor's time. Apparently this guy remembered the rule, and kept a dry, technical presentation mercifully short. K8JHR

WN1MB likes this.
  14. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Women commonly refer to their Every Day Carry Bags as "purses."

K0WJ and K9GLS like this.
  15. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If there is nothing but radio gear in it, not a purse.

The minute you put your keys, breath mints, wallet, or any other non-radio stuff in it... purse.

Sorry, these are the harsh realities of life.

K8JHR likes this.