Powerwerx case for Anytone AT-D868UV

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KB1ILS, Dec 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB1ILS

KB1ILS Ham Member QRZ Page

A review of the Powerwerx CSC-868 Radio Case, by KB1ILS

Please forgive the lack of photos; I had taken many but they are too large to post and I am not familiar with how to downsize them easily (taken with an iPhone and I am posting on a PC).

I recently purchased an Anytone AT-D868UV and wanted a case to protect my investment. Being my first DMR radio and hoping that I could get my wife (KC1DTK) to like it enough to purchase one herself, I wanted to keep the radio in top condition. An online search revealed that this Powerwerx case was my only choice for a rugged case that appeared to be well-constructed. I found it odd that there were no reviews available yet—perhaps I am the proverbial Guinea Pig! I spent the last two days with the case on my belt and my radio in and out of the case, and decided to write a review.

The Powerwerx CSC-868 arrived just a couple days after I ordered. This was my first time doing business with Powerwerx and I was satisfied, if not impressed, with such shipping speed.

Straight out of the package, the most striking feature of the Powerwerx CSC-868 is the stainless steel swivel belt clip. The feel and construction remind me of Motorola’s high-end swivel belt cases. It appears that the belt clip could be removed if desired, leaving the user with a steel “nub” on the case, however the two prongs holding the clip on may be compromised from future use if you chose to do so. I’m happy with it as is and not that adventurous, so the clip will remain intact.

The belt clip’s fixed base (“nub” as referenced above) is riveted to a thick, very robust strip of black woven nylon. The nylon is nearly solid and folded over the softer side of the outer case that the radio sits in. The outer pouch is then held in place by rivets through the folded nylon, resulting in a rock-solid-feeling mount.

The pouch that the radio sits in provides support and protection. Its overall construction is black nylon, probably 600 denier Cordura based on comparing it to tactical gear I have in different weights. The inner lining is a soft low-pile fleece, almost as if the loop side of a hook-and-loop fastener was shaved down a bit. It allows the radio to glide into the case and move around without being scratched or caught on a rough surface. Someone who designed this case knows quality gear, because there’s a drainage grommet. One of my pet peeves is finding a piece of outdoor gear lacking in that feature. There are openings on the sides for the speaker mic and PTT/function keys. A short elasticized strap over the speaker mic jack and a short bungee that wraps around the base of the antenna serve to stabilize the radio. I admit I was skeptical at first of the case’s ability to retain the radio when upside down, but my thoughts were short-lived as the case’s glove-tight fit and two straps are indeed adequate for the task. The plastic window over the display and keypad is very flexible and I am guessing much less prone to breaking, warping, or scratching, compared to a harder plastic. Holes for the mic and speaker seem to work fine as they are; I can hear and speak with audio that seems to be unaffected.

A peek inside the bottom of the Powerwerx CSC-868 reveals that is it made in the USA. That was refreshing to see.

The radio itself is already quite the chunky handful with the 3100mA battery and squared-off shape. Most handhelds I own are much more slim. The case on the radio now makes it quite bulky and awkward to operate in one’s hand until proper grip is achieved. I think most users will find the case to be something to leave on one’s belt and remove the radio as needed, rather than to transmit while holding the encased radio.

Overall I am highly satisfied with the Powerwerx CSC-868 and think it provides great protection and value. I am pleasantly surprised. My only recommendation for improvement would be the addition of a removable/optional flap to cover the top of the radio.

2. KB1ILS

KB1ILS Ham Member QRZ Page

Adding a detail:

Someone explained to me that the belt portion of the belt clip does indeed separate from the case. The clip must be rotated 180 degrees and then gently pulled and it will come out.

Thank you.