PowerPole Experiences.

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N8CPA, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA3UCR

WA3UCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats Steve. I wish I could get my wife to run a successfull errand like yours did! That's pretty cool.

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use them on everything, and they are good, reliable connectors. I do waste a few in assembly, though. I have a set of crimpers I prefer to use with them that I bought from West Mountain Radio a long time ago. It's not one of their 'power crimp tools' but I think I paid more for it than they want for the new one.

I don't believe in soldering low voltage DC connectors. I've seen too many thermal runaways, and had too much solder melt out of low voltage connectors over the years. All it takes is a very small resistance in a high current connection. The soldered joint might be fine, but there might be 0.1 ohm between the two blades in the connector. P=I X E so in a 25 amp installation, that 0.1 X 25 = 2.5 watts of heat being generated in that joint. Over time, that heat will lead to corrosion, which will increase the resistance. At 1 ohm, you will have 25 watts of heat in the joint - like holding a pencil soldering iron on it. Next, the solder in your connector melts and all heck breaks out! Been, there, done that, have the burn holes in the carpets to prove it! We used to get some real doozies in the computer industry. I've seen entire mainframe-sized machines slowly burn themselves up before anybody noticed!

3. KA7PLE

KA7PLE Ham Member QRZ Page

My personal experience with crimp style connectors (literally 1000's), don't solder them. If its on a connection that is ever subject to movement, the solder connection will eventually fail.
    I've been using PowerPole connectors for many years, never had a problem with them. I also use the cheap-o crimp tool. works just fine.
    Good luck,

Mike
    KA7PLE

4. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent presentation.

I can't believe how easy that tool makes it! So far, I've used 7 pairs with only 1 blowout. That one was a cable for my R-75. I forgot to test which wire was the center positive on an odd coloring scheme pair, for the Icom floorwart P(o)S. When I plugged the revised cable into the other PS, it blew the crowbar in the R-75. No big deal, I had a spare fuse.

It was the first time I looked under the hood of the receiver. Quick fuse replacement, run a magnet over the carpet to find the screw I dropped, drive the cover screws home. Restrip and recrimp the cord, repeat test, test passed, hook up, and full recovery. And soon the R-75 and 735 will be on the same power supply, when I get a PowerPole strip.

And I just finished installing one on the rig in the car. That 20 amp lighter circuit is finally getting some use again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.