ad: Schulman-1

PowerPole Distribution Block Kit

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Jan 2, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

To each their own. I like mine, although it's just in the house, not portable. I like the retention clips a lot.

3. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently wanted to purchase some powerpoles. So I googled for them and found images of shiny powerpoles with slightly warped surfaces, the typical warp you get when extruded plastic products cool down. I thought: "wow, these rip-offs look ugly". Then I realized that the ones I found weren't rip-offs, the were the original from Anderson! I compared the images with a couple of powerpoles I purchased 15 years ago and I was really disappointed. The old ones I had looked much better, seemed to be made of a different kind of plastic, were matte and had no distortions at all or they were not visible because of the matted surface. It seems that Anderson changed the plastic and/or prodcution process, over time. My "old ones" work perfectly and have a firm grip to each other. How are the current powepoles doing? Are they still as good as 15 years ago?

73, Meindert - PAøMHS

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is hit and miss.

Many housings are being 3D printed. I have printed some, ABS is the best and is a bit hard to do because it shrinks. when it cools.

Connectors should be cleaned before use, I use alcohol and clean everything before soldering or crimping. I clean my solder with alcohol also.

#1 cause of connector failure is cleanliness. The resistance of dirt causes heat. Look at a connector under a microscope, You may be surprised.

5. K7EK

K7EK Ham Member QRZ Page

I purchased and built five of the PC-5 kits with Custom 3d-Printed Cases. I am thoroughly satisfied with them. The prices are very competitive and reasonable. They are used on several operating positions in my home station
    as well as in my vehicle. I really enjoyed building them. They are high quality and do the job at a fraction of the cost of the competition. I highly recommend these kits. Just take your time and use a hot enough soldering
    device to assure proper physical as well as electrical connections. You won't be sorry.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Radcliff, KY (EM77at)

6. 2E0HVK

2E0HVK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought some (genuine) Powerpoles. Ended up throwing them away in disgust. But then I'm used to proper connectors from Neutrik and Lemo.

Ask yourself, if Anderson Powerpoles are so wonderful why don't military, aerospace, motorsport, nuclear, medical, broadcast etc industries use them?

7. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I use PowerPoles because this is just a hobby. Nobody's life and limb is on the line when I work the bands. Mine work just fine for what I do.

KS4W likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It Is What it Is... :rolleyes:

9. AB2YC

AB2YC Guest QRZ Page

Powerpoles are convenient, and while I use them I realize their shortcomings (lack of an integrated locking mechanism, etc)

Most do not recess the connectors there is the possibility to plug in the connector sideways.
    When I made up some distribution boxes I recessed the connectors to prevent this.
    I also made some shrouds to go around the Powerpole connector on equipment to prevent this.

10. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

If I'm not mistaken, almost all of the UPS systems that are rack mounted use PowerPoles or a similar contraption. I saw some larger PowerPoles that remind me of them.

11. K9JEB

K9JEB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! I am definitely using PLA+ (Overture PLA Pro) however even it I don't think would stand up to temps in a car in the SouthWest. I'll have to put one in the oven at 150F and see what it looks like after a couple hours... :)

12. K9JEB

K9JEB Ham Member QRZ Page

I just use a simple ty-wrap to keep them together if they need to stay connected. Their purpose is specifically to be able to be plugged/removed easily while making a good connection able to transfer up to 45A.

13. AB2YC

AB2YC Guest QRZ Page

Yes that works but not having an integrated locking mechanism is still an issue.

It becomes an issue (especially in commercial applications) since:
    The Tech has cut the zip tie to remove the radio for repair, and then replace the zip tie one it's reinstalled.
    So the potential for the zip tie to not be installed and thee power cable becoming undone now exist.

With most other connectors they just squeeze the locking tab and release and it locks automatically upon insertion.

I like powerpoles and use them all over my shack, but I bear in mind their shortcomings