Powering On/Off Equipment

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KK4EMP, Nov 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing I power directly from the power supply is my 10m beacon. When I built the beacon, I used a pushbutton switch as a power switch. It was a switch I had salvaged from something I had built before, and for some reason it was going wonky shutting off on its own, and not making good contact. Eventually I had a realization that on a device which is intended to operate 24/7 there was no need for a power switch. So instead of replacing the switch I just wired across it so it's on full time, and if for any reason I need to shut off the beacon I just turn the power supply off.

At home, I usually do have the habit of shutting down each radio before turning the power supplies off. I don't know that it's really necessary but I do it anyway.

2. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't really have a particular "shut down" process aside from having a Master switch on each bench, that is always turned off. The overhead lighting for the bench is also after the master. This way, if the room is dark when I shut the door, everything is off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

My process: (1) shut down each piece of equipment using its power on/off switch; (2) shut down the Astron RS-35M using its power on/off switch; (3) shut off the MOV-protected power strip that supplies the station using its power on/off switch; and (4) disconnect all antenna feedlines from the station.

KB0MNM likes this.
  4. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the "Clapper". Clap on...Clap off:):)! Happy Thanksgiving to all, and safe, happy holidays!

Bob K7JQ

VE4CY likes this.
  5. M3AIN

M3AIN QRZ Member

I used to turn off the rigs, then turn off the PSU - but since owning an Icom 7300 with the well known battery discharge issue, I've found I always turn the rigs off & leave the PSU on at all times.

6. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

See post 30. Maybe not in his case... It is possible that an MOV-type A.C. line suppressor such as already recommended would have solved the problem. Hindsight is 20/20. Foresight, not as good. Post 19 covers one suppressor, post 29 one maker of UPS systems. If the post 30 problem relates to A.C. input- the P.S.U. may not need a modification. Who knows...?