Powering On/Off Equipment

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KK4EMP, Nov 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

I agree. Please use your power supply as the off/on switch.

2. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They use flash memory and only write to it when you are loading new firmware. In normal operation, the flash memory is read-only and you can cut the power with no risk of corruption. Radios like the 7300 also have a slot for an SD card and may write a variety of data to that including audio recordings and log entries - that can be corrupted if you cut the power during a write cycle, but it is not critical - you can remove the SD card and the radio will work fine.

Martin (G8FXC)

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is really interesting actually. When I had boat anchors and electricity was dirt cheap (Yes, there really was such a time), I left them on all the time, because it took half a day for them to stabilize. Now that electricity isn't so cheap, but modern rigs in idle mode don't use any more power than a night light, I still leave most of my stuff on too. (Well, not my linear, of course).

4. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

My power supply runs 24/7 through and epic powergate to keep the house batteries charged. If power fails it will switch to the solar panels and bring up the batteries. Power supply is 40a and also drive security cameras and emergency lighting along with micro computer. As said before older radios seemed not to like just having the power killed so I switch off individually. But, In the mobile its the opposite as one switch brings them all on or off.
    I like the epic powergate a with the power failures nothing is interrupted and the micro computer just keeps ticking along. Wish they would make a higher amperage version though. I am limited to less than 200 watts solar so its hard to make the breakover voltage and current for the house batteries.

5. KO4CQ

KO4CQ Ham Member QRZ Page

For my Collins S Line, I leave the switches on the boxes on, and turn everything, including a 30L1 on and off with a power strip. I read somewhere here on QRZ that Collins switches are fragile, and no longer available. For my TS850 and TS50, the PS goes on first and off last.

6. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Mine are.

Here in FL we have lightning storms almost everyday during the summer. Power is often briefly going on/off. I have two UPSs in the shack with critical components all connected, including computers and my rigs. I've bricked a PC before when the power suddenly cut off . . . of course I can't be sure something else wasn't wrong but required me to reload the OS and all software. Fixable but a pain in the butt!!

Personally I think there is a reason my rig has an "on/off" switch. I'm not likely to cause any problem by using it, but I sure might cause a problem by not using it. I have no problem using that switch. Taking a few seconds to cut things off really causes me no headache. YMMV. Again, to each his own! :)

...............Bob

7. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

Most power supplies are a combination of step down transformers and filters and are generally quite robust when it comes to voltage spikes
    Linear supplies use larger transformers and capacitors and can most definitely handle spikes that will easily fry switching supplies.

For premium protection of your expensive gear consider buying a power conditioner type ups system.
    Be forewarned though they are expensive.

8. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do agree with you - I never knowingly cut the power before turning off the rig. I was simply pointing out that any manufacturer of a piece of complex electronics has to design for power cuts and there should be an expectation that the device will survive.

Many years ago, I went to the launch event for one of the later releases of MSDOS - DOS 6, I think. It included disk compression technology and the Microsoft Bimbette giving the presentation noted that the initial process of applying compression to a disk that already held data was quite slow. She kicked off the compress process on her demonstration PC and carried on talking about all the steps they had taken to protect it - while she was doing this, another Microsoft droid wandered onto the stage and pulled the power cable out of the back of the PC. The girl doing the presentation took the cable, plugged it back in and carried on describing the new features of the OS - the PC rebooted, resumed the compression process and ran to completion before the presentation was finished. I always had a great deal of admiration for the sheer nerve of that MS girl!

Martin (G8FXC)

9. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

W4PG pretty much answered the post #1 question with the procedure of using the radio power switch first at shutdown, and after the supply at startup.
    As to the question about overshoot voltage, that usually occurs only in a malfunction of a power supply or an 'unanticipated' change in the line power. According to what I have read while looking at literature for APC(tm) Uninterruptible Power Supplies, the majority of power-line events are either less than three minutes in duration ( 'line drop and restart quickly' ) or brown-outs ( voltage slowly decreases then fails ). If the UPS equipment can sense a 'brown-out' low voltage condition and either switch to battery or ( as needed ) shut down for lack of battery power, your user equipment should be fine. Since the majority of events are under 3 minutes in duration, an appropriately sized UPS should keep the equipment working. Yet I have seen events where the power was up one moment, out for less than a minute, back on for less than 10 seconds, then out again. Not all of the older linear power supplies would handle this gracefully, and not all of the switch mode power supplies that I looked at for personal computers could handle that either. Yet I have to believe that most power supplies will not ( under ordinary conditions ) produce a huge voltage spike upon startup. Typically, better power supplies have both voltage and current limiting- yet the 'bootstrap' circuits can fail in those with capacitors used beyond the expected lifetime. In the case of an incoming power surge of lightning magnitude- better to have the supply and load both switched off. Just remember that a UPS with spent batteries or more load than expected can give one a false sense of security.

10. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

You may want to look at the N1AOA ( November 1 Alpha Oscar Alpha ) Review on this site: https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=14252. Under those conditions, you may wish to consult Alinco(mfr.) regarding any recalls with your serial number handy.

KK4EMP likes this.