Powering On/Off Equipment

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KK4EMP, Nov 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KK4EMP

KK4EMP Ham Member QRZ Page

This might sound a bit silly but…

If I leave my radio ON (FT-891) and connected to a power supply (Alinco DM-430T) also in the ON position and then use a separate switch to turn both of them on/off simultaneously…could this damage anything with them not being powered on/off in the proper order?

I’m thinking not but just wanted to poll the masses and get a second opinion.

2. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You'll get more than a second opinion.

I usually leave the PS on and turn off the radios. The PS also feeds some accessories that I usually leave on.

AK5B, W4HWD and WD5GWY like this.
  3. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use the power supply as the master on/off switch for the radios. Been doing that for decades with no issues

KK4EMP likes this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I turn off the entire shack when I leave.
    I'm an older fellow and I prefer to turn things off sequentially before flipping the main switch. Doesn't seem to hurt anything.

NA1S, WA9SVD and KK4EMP like this.
  5. DAVE457

DAVE457 QRZ Member

I have everything hooked up to Furman power strip.. when I leave I just turn the power strip off

6. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

turning your equipment off with the power supply will not hurt the equipment but you should switch on the equipment separately power after the power supply is turned on.
    depending on how robust your power supply is powering up causes an inrush current to be many times higher that operating full load current until the equipment is fully up and running,
    this duration is not very long approximately a couple hundredths of a second (unless its tube operated gear)
    a borderline adequate power supply may sustain heat damage and a seriously shortened life.
    (industrial electrician for 31 years)

NA1S, N2UHC, AK5B and 5 others like this.
  7. N8VIL

N8VIL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a couple radios that do a weird power down thing when I shut off the power supply before powering down the radio with its power switch. Probably doesn't hurt anything, but I feel more comfortable shutting down equipment before turning off the power supply.

N2UHC, WA9SVD and PU2OZT like this.
  8. KK4EMP

KK4EMP Ham Member QRZ Page

This is exactly my situation.

9. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

My ageing Heater / Power switches stay ON, put a 110V switch inline to spare them (slightly off topic).
    Have multiple dedicated electrical boxes for similar purpose in my home. I do not trust power strips flimsy switches, already had to by-pass many of those.

Oliver

10. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like to be able to operate remotely, but dislike leaving heavy duty power supplies running 24/7. I run an ICOM 7300 and Yaesu FT-991A which are connected to a pair of linear PSUs. These are, in turn, connected to a TP-Link smart socket strip together with the shack PC. The PSUs are left switched on and the PC is configured to boot up when the power is connected. I have a couple of macros configured into Alexa so that I can give her commands like "Alexa, turn on the radios", "Alexa, turn on the ICOM" and "Alexa turn off the shack" - and I can do this from anywhere in the world via my PC or smart phone. The radios are coupled to my shack PC for CAT control and I use Win4ICOM and Win4Yaesu to drive them. Both of those packages will turn the radio on as they load and turn it off as they close. So, I do leave the power supplies permanently switched on and control them from external switches, but I don't normally rip the power out from a running radio. That said, I don't think you need to have any serious concerns about cutting the power from a running radio - the manufacturers have to design to cope with that - power cuts happen and Yaesu or ICOM would be continuously repairing failed radios if they could not cope with having the power ripped out from under them unceremoniously!

Martin (G8FXC)